Wednesday 30 March 2011

Blogging days are not always happy days.  We have all been full of colds, I think the whole of the UK must have this virus and in our family it is my turn.  It'll pass, but one of our cats has been diagnosed with diabetes and that is not passing at all.  This is Bob...

He is 14, we had him and his sister Daisy from kittens.  Daisy died almost 2 years ago and we all still miss her like crazy.  Bob has been middle aged all his life and has had numerous health problems- normally before a bank holiday when the vet is shut or we are about to go away.  He is a happy, creaky old cat with arthritic legs, urinary tract problems and now diabetes  We have to inject him twice a day at the same time each day,12 hours apart.  I couldn't bring myself to photograph injection needles so pin cushions instead (Clockwise from top left- from Ingrid, Tiffany, Ayumi and me).

We are due to visit relatives- I am hoping to see my sister in laws baby- I still haven't met her yet!  I think we have worked out someone to come and deliver injections, it is a very hard thing to ask of others.  
I don't know how it is going to progress, Bob has stopped drinking the huge amounts of water he was doing before we started the treatment but a few other things aren't right yet so we'll have to see.  Injecting him isn't the nicest thing to do for us, although he doesn't seem to mind.  The vets are pretty hopeful and give a lot of support- the sort that you pay for.  We can cope with the cost- we are not living extravagant lives and are lucky we bought our house years ago before prices were silly.  As long as he is happy we'll keep him going.
Despite his many difficulties he is a loving cat, loves to sit with his paws on my knees along with Lottie, out dog.  
The other cat, Mindy treats us all with contempt and will probably live forever.
Sorry it has been very pet based- not everyone's cup of tea but he is rather dominating my thoughts at the moment.  
sib blog

18 comments:

  1. Don't apologise, chickie - our pets are part of our families!! Poor old Bob. At least he doesn't seem to mind the injections too much - much worse for the one doing the injecting, I know. My daughter is desperate for a cat but our little rat friends wouldn't be so keen, I'm sure!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's so hard to see pets get old, but the good news is that our neighbor's elderly cat with diabetes lived for many years after they started the injections, so we will hope for the same for Bob. He is a beauty! Hope you feel better, too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. awww poor Bob :-( Hope you get used to giving the injections and he keeps on improving.

    x

    ReplyDelete
  4. It's hard to see a pet you love suffer...but it sounds like he is doing better, hope for the best and enjoy your break and the new baby in the family!

    ReplyDelete
  5. oh kerry, sorry to hear about your kitty, hope it get easier for you...

    ReplyDelete
  6. Bob looks like such a sweet cat, I'm sorry he is having a bad time. I have been there with sickly cats and vets bills, so I can sympathise. My friend had a cat with diabetes who went on for years quite happily, it will more of a hassle for you than Bob!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Awww give Bob a big cuddle from me :)

    My Jimmy is also middle aged from birth (he's almost 7) but Murray (she's almost 10) will probably never grow up (just like me ;) )

    ReplyDelete
  8. It must be really hard having to administer injections to your loved ones, especially when you can't make him understand why. He's gorgeous though. I am a real cat person, but I am allergic, I still have one though I just have to be really careful.
    Kandi x

    ReplyDelete
  9. thank you for so many kind words and support, it really helps x

    ReplyDelete
  10. Bless u hon, I know how hard it can be when your pet is poorly. I hope you yet have many more days to enjoy life together.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Bob is a very handsome cat - especially with his Victorian style white moustache. I love his bed too. And, also have experienced the emergency vet - £90 just for a call out then whatever else needs doing – but it is definitely worth it to fix much loved pets up.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Many kisses to Bob, Kerry!
    Our beloved cat passed away at 16 a few years ago and we still miss him dearly. He had problems with kidneys and a special diet on the last years. I wish you many happy years together still, the pets really are family!

    Yours,
    Mia

    ReplyDelete
  13. Oh dear, I'm so sorry you're having a tough time with your kitty. It sounds like you're doing everything you can and need to in order for him to be a happy and comfortable fellow. Pets are truly members of our family and treasured companions. XOXOX

    ReplyDelete
  14. My friend's cat had diabetes too. I used to watch him and do injections for her when she had to go away. Too bad you live so far away as I would happily do this for you too. Love cats (we have 5) and work with animals so injections are no big deal (and you know he has to feel better!) Keep your chin up pretty soon it will just be routine for you guys! My friend's cat lived a very long time (I think he was over 20!!) He was black and white also.

    ReplyDelete
  15. oh I am sorry to hear about Bob. I hope he will get better soon and injections for him won't be as hard on you. He is so adorable. Love the small white socks he's wearing.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Bless you! nice blog, thanks for sharing

    ReplyDelete
  17. I've had 2 diabetic cats in the past, and can also reassure you that the condition shouldn't affect life expectancy.

    You'll be suprised how quickly you get used to giving injections - just keep in mind that Bob won't feel a thing.

    It can be difficult to stabilise blood sugar levels in cats, hence multiple trips to the vet. My vet advised me to buy a GlucoMen LX Blood Glucose Meter (cheap to buy online and the same brand used at the surgery). Being able to test blood sugar levels at home reduced visits to the vet considerably; which was less stressful for the cats and much cheaper for me.

    Testing at home is a simple procedure, but a bit too wordy to explain in a blog comment. If you'd like some advice, please feel free to email. Good luck!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time out to leave your thoughts, I do very much appreciate you stopping by! Blogger is not sending comments through by email at the moment so I'll reply in the comments.