Monday 7 March 2011

Stamps

I am becoming a big fan of stamps.  I don't really do papercraft, I am too impatient and careless, but stamping on fabric is so satisfying and after the difficulties I had with standard pigment ink which I could not set heat set, I  was relieved to discover Versacraft, stamp ink pads designed for fabric and easily set with an iron.  It is a dream to use.
This alphabet is the one I use most, Hero Arts Clear Design Bird Branch Alphabet.  I like the font and the plastic clings securely onto the mount.   I have 2 sets, I managed to lose letters in my early stamping days- I have learnt to be more careful.  On Etsy, there are many hand carved stamps available.  I was lucky enough to stumble across Tommie's shop.


That's her work above, the heart sewing machine, the love letter and, custom for me, my blog name, button and spool, beautifully carved and mounted on to wood blocks.  You can see how beautifully they stamp.
The little building and modern sewing machine stamps are carboot sale finds from my friend and carboot companion Kathy.  She has generously given me the machine one.  It's metal so pleasingly resilient and finely detailed.
And this is what I do with them!  My Doll Quilt Swap label- recipient's name obscured,
A cotton tape label for a new bag (will show more soon)
Stamped straight onto the back of a new cushion, and a button tag (more of that another time too)
on the other side of the button is the spool, my favourite.
There's more on my Doll Quilt creation- it's almost finished...

sib blog

15 comments:

  1. Fun! I was a big stamper for years, but I have not seen this ink. I will have to track some down.
    Thanks for sharing this!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm so glad to hear a good review of Versacraft...because I have some on order (should be here any day!). I love how you use your stamps, Kerry!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love what you do with your stamps - it's so cool and quirky and your DQS label looks fab - I'm dying to see progress on the quilt itself though!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for all of the helpful info! I love reading your blog!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Those stamps are so cute and well done. I love stamping on fabric, it holds up beautiful too.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I didn't know the Versacraft was good for fabric. I'll have to try that. I have more stamps than I know what to do with. I would love to send a little package of them to you if you're interested. I used to do a lot more stamping, but somehow I've drifted away from it.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Kerry

    I have one of the Versa Craft stamp pads, bought with the idea of labelling, but have never worked up the courage to use it. How do you find the permance after washing the quilt, have you ever tried that?

    Love the stamps too, btw, they are great!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I use VersaCraft ink too! It works great and holds up remarkably well after washing. Usually, I just stamp twill tape but you've inspired me to use it on fabric. That spool stamp is the sweetest thing.

    ReplyDelete
  9. super cute...I too have never gotten into stamping because, well...I can only obsess over one craft at a time. lol. But thanks for the name brands to look up!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love the way you use stamps for your project! All the fonts remind me of your style! The heart sewing machine is beyond adorable!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love stamping on fabric too and also use the Versacraft ink pads. I recently had my own custom made "contented be" stamp made by skullandcrossbuns on etsy and I'm so happy to be able to label my makes with it! I love your little sewing machine stamps, so cute!

    ReplyDelete
  12. what a fun way to mark your projects! :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. This is so inspiring! I have a few stamps, and now I need to find some of that special ink. You make the most darling things, Kerry!!! And I love how you have added text and labels. Thank you for sharing!
    ; )

    ReplyDelete
  14. Huh don't know what happened to my previous comment, but I was saying that these are very clever and save on your pocket too! Fi

    ReplyDelete
  15. Love how you're using these stamps! I've just ordered a little stamp from Tommie's shop, now off to look for some versacraft. Can't wait to get stamping!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time out to leave your thoughts, I do very much appreciate you stopping by! Blogger is not sending comments through by email at the moment so I'll reply in the comments.