Thursday 10 September 2015

September at Village Haberdashery

It's definitely transition time with fabrics and dressmaking.  I know my daughter jokes that it is PSL season- Pumpkin Spiced Latte, for teens posting on social media this gets a lot of mentions and it is a marker of the move to Autumn and Fall for the Northern Hemisphere.  So, I'm having a look at new arrivals at Village Haberdashery, and I'm getting a bit of an Autumnal feel from some of the new colours and styles! 
Cloud9 seem to have a  some great designers on their books at the moment- there's Anna Graham's Rainwalk collection and I am hotly awaiting Aneela Hoey's new collection, Vignette which includes double gauze!  Meanwhile, Landscape, the first collection for Cloud9 by Ink & Spindle 

You can buy all the prints in a fat quarter bundle, or individually and build your own bundle.  As with all Cloud9 fabrics, they are printed on organic cotton.  I really like the navy print
Anna Maria Horner has a yarn dyed woven range out called Loominous which has taken a while to get to the UK but judging by its apparent suitability for clothing as well as quilting, I think it's going to be very popular - Annie has some brilliant inspirational picture examples here


For clothing, the bigger prints appeal to me the most, especially the Big Love check in Midnight and Candy.  Simple shapes like the Grainline Scout T make the post of the pattern and reduce and tricky pattern matching.  The Alder Dress also works well as do many children's clothing patterns.


  Traffic is another print that I've also enjoyed seeing in clothing,  the Sailor Top by Fancy Tiger Crafts.   


The Loominous fabrics are standard quilting width (44"/112cm).
Annie has had a tonne of heavy weight cotton webbing arrive in just about every colour you can imagine and a choice of widths too. 


This pic is from Annie's Instagram feed @vhaberdashery.  She's posted a super simple quick tutorial on the shop blog to make a 5 minute webbing belt.  You can find the belt hardwear here.
Lots of new dressmaking patterns have been released this month.  Green Bee (Alexia Abegg's pattern line) has the Pearl Dress, a simple shift shape, elevated with a  henley button placket detail and  also a scalloped yoke option- I am a big fan of the button placket!   


It looks like it could be easily shortened to be a top too and there are lots of fastening options- pullover, zip or button.   The new Deer and Doe patterns can be bought from the Village Haberdashery but not online- call or email to arrange mail order and I'm sure the latest Grainline patterns wardrobe basic, the Lark Tee will be arriving any time!

Other notable arrivals include some very nice quality lingerie elastics. There's fold over elastic in a multitude of colours and is great for edging knickers, bras and cami style tops, but also for making quick and easy hair bands ties and baby hair bands.


There's also lacey lingerie elastic, I love this stuff for knickers- there are many colours, I ordered grey and white but there are so many to choose from.  I usually allow around 1.5-2 metres for each pair of knickers, I always think it looks like more than you would think! 


Enjoy! x

sib blog

1 comment:

  1. Thanks Kerry I really enjoyed reading what is coming onto the market. I was thinking today that once my quilt is off my machine I will move onto sewing some clothes. I am interested to see that you go between quilting and clothing too.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time out to leave your thoughts, I do very much appreciate you stopping by! Blogger is not sending comments through by email at the moment so I'll reply in the comments.