Monday 10 February 2014

Oakshott and Alice Apple: Squares

Sometimes I need to go back to basics.  Ignore the pretties on Instagram, blogs and elsewhere and just do something simple and let the fabric do the talking.  This quilt top was made from a stack of Oakshott fat eights of Italy (kindly sent by Michael), a charm pack of 37 squares bought from Alice Apple and a few random light and vintage squares from my scraps.  144 x 4" squares in all, 


Organising rows and 'randomness'.


Chain piecing.


Nesting seams.


No bells or whistles, just lovely shimmering colours.  The Italy bundle was a great match for the vintage style colours of the Alice Apple squares,  a very 1970s palette and the silvery grey warp thread that runs through this range has a subtle shimmer.


A quick flick through one of my older inspiration books whilst I was taking these photos confirmed the happy marriage of simple shapes and bold patterns and colours.  These are all from Patchwork Simplified by Alice Timmins- a great source of vintage patchwork eye candy with English paper pieced maxi skirts and slightly disturbing toys.





The 1970s with its rather variable aesthetic (note the green long shag pile in the bottom pic, urgh!) was very much my decade.  Combos like this make me feel so at home.

sib blog

14 comments:

  1. Simple squares are always fab, and great therapy too as very calming to sew!

    ReplyDelete
  2. So much wonderful eye candy here. Loving every single square! Gorgeous makes my dear xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love squares! I particularly love your Mr Men squares!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Aww, I love Mr Small and half of Mr Tickle in there!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Really lovely; which is more than I can say for that crazy-eyed lady!

    ReplyDelete
  6. love your combo of the Oakshotts with the fun Alice Apple :) Also, that pin cushion and the quilt from the book are to die for... I might have to make myself the quilt :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. WANNNNNNNNTTTT! It is beautiful! And the rag doll!!! Can you make more for my shop please!! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Simple prettiness is wonderful, sometimes we need a quiet quilt.

    ReplyDelete
  9. You know, I'm in that same place right now. I spent several hours on Pinterest last night (while waiting in the hallway for my kids to fall asleep, since they've been sneaking downstairs to play video games of late) and I saw all of these gorgeous, elaborate masterpiece quilts that took my breath away, but that I will never in this lifetime ever be able to make. It got discouraging after awhile. The quilt I have been working on since last April has been throwing me one curve ball after another, because the skill level is just a bit beyond where I am. I know I learn a lot when I attempt something challenging, but right now I'm yearning for a simpler project that will go together without any sailor-mouth swearing, sweating, or seam-ripping. I'm in the mood for some plain old HSTs or squares myself today!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Sometimes simple works best. I bet your quilt top is even better in real life. Your 70's book pics did make me laugh, I threw away so many fabrics, sheets etc that would be considered very retro and on trend today!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love simple charm square designs, and yours is particularly appealing with its vibrant colours and contrasts!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Love your new quilt top, sometimes simple is best and it's great just to make something for the joy of sewing fabrics together rather than trying to do something clever and different! Also love that mini box cushion and the doll's skirt!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I love how random it looks...but I guess it had to be organised....to be random, if you know what I mean!

    ReplyDelete
  14. What a beautiful and simple quilt--letting the fabric do all the talking.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time out to leave your thoughts, I do very much appreciate you stopping by! Blogger is not sending comments through by email at the moment so I'll reply in the comments.