Wednesday 27 March 2013

Ms Bunny

As soon as I saw Miss Maggie Bunny on Alica Paulson's blog, When Posie gets Cozy, I knew I would succumb.  I am a big fan of her blog.  The aesthetic is beautiful, always a treat with every blog post and Alicia's openness and candid writing is commendable.  Alicia produced 1000 kits and  they sold out very quickly.  But there is a PDF and I found the main material, National Nonwovens wool blend felt, available in the UK.  The rabbit is made from 'Sandstone' and the boots from 'Havana Gold'.
I spoke to the folks at Crafts4allseasons when they were just getting more stocks in.  They asked me why I wanted these specific colours and I explained- I think they were more than a little puzzled at teh sudden demand.  They are restocking at present so it is worth checking in with them.  A 1/4 yard will make 2 bunnies and this is a pattern you may want to make two of!
I traced the felt pattern pieces onto freezer paper and ironed them onto the felt, far easier than drawing round card and more accurate too.  I used a standard polyfill stuffing, densely packed and serger tweezers to get into the nooks and crannies. 
The dress is made from a thrifted find of a couple of Liberty lawn night dresses, the fabric is faded and soft and works perfectly for the bunny as there is one colour way for the ears and another for the dress. I added a little pocket- it is an actual working picket, just in case...
The dress frill was at the hem of the dresses I used for fabric.  It is a lovely pattern, clear and well thought out at every stage.  The stitching is all on the outside so no turning through of narrow pieces and the main stitch is blanket stitch with a bit of whip stitch here and there.
I used a little mineral blusher for the cheeks, 



 The cape was from an offcut of a cashmere jumper with a crocheted edge and ties.  My crochet experience is extremely limited although I have just ordered a little project to try and learn a little.  The pattern includes instructions for knitting a cape.

The boots are the fiddliest part to sew but still easily manageable and incredibly cute.
She has settled down happily here and another and maybe even another are already planned.
sib blog

22 comments:

  1. She is lovely! I saw the patten on Alicia's blog and wanted to give it a try too. Thanks for the tips on where to get the felt etc!

    ReplyDelete
  2. She is very sweet. It is good to know that the felt can be got in the Uk too - thank you for the links. I love her so soft dress with the ruffles - serendipitous indeed!

    ReplyDelete
  3. She is absolutely beautiful! I really fancy a sweet little project like this. Thanks for all the links

    ReplyDelete
  4. I just adore your bunny and I may have to try this after seeing yours! I love her blog for the gorgeous pics she posts and of her baby :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. She's gorgeous! I'm trying very hard to resist!

    ReplyDelete
  6. oh Kerry she is beautiful, what a gorgeous job you have done. I love all the little details - her tiny boots, mineral blusher, her sweet pocket and your stitching on the edge of her little jumper! Perfection. I love Alicia's blog too, such gorgeous pics and words. happy Easter with Miss Maggie Rabbit. Catherine

    ReplyDelete
  7. So cute! Your blanket stitch is immaculate.

    ReplyDelete
  8. well done you! am so tempted to try this...alicias blog is a really treat.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Ooh!!! My Granny is 90 in a fortnight - what the heck do you buy a 90 year old?!?! I had a notion for a sewn bunny but hadn't a clue where to start. You have saved me a ton of work with your wonderful links - thank you! *waves*

    ReplyDelete
  10. She is just beautiful. Those wee boots are possibly the most awesome thing I've seen on a soft toy!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh, your bunny is adorable ~ everything about her is wonderful!
    I missed the first bit of Posy gets Cozy sale of the bunny, hopefully I'll make the next.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Adorable! I immediately thought of making a velveteen version.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I love Posy's writings.
    So lyrical.
    I am grateful she lives in Portland and often posts more gorgeous photos of places I have been.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Oh how adorable! I wish I had someone to make this for! (might have to make it for myself!) Thanks for the link to the felt - really useful! I too love Alicia Paulson's blog - makes me want to run away and live in Oregon.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Aww, she's very cute, and love the boots!

    ReplyDelete
  16. My first sewing was toys - maybe I should go back to it ! Very tempting seeing this cute bunny so lovingly made!

    ReplyDelete
  17. she is super cute!! Her outfit is so spring and the cape on her is just darling. I am hoping to start mine after the move.. I'll take Meggie oversea for a little while..:)

    ReplyDelete
  18. I can't believe I missed this! That bunny is soooo adorable I have to check out the pattern! What a great thing you can find thrifted liberty fabric! It would be a miracle here!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time out to leave your thoughts, I do very much appreciate you stopping by! Blogger is not sending comments through by email at the moment so I'll reply in the comments.