Thursday 28 March 2013

Eight-point snowflake

I have a lot of catching up to do, starting with a Ringo Pie block for Anna.  She wanted snowflake blocks with linen background and lots of white.  I used Eight Point Snowflake from 163 Patterns, I also found a free pattern here  which is constructed in the same way.
 The centre star is pieced first and then the border pieces are added with Y seams.  It is a precision piecing exercise.
 I had another block due for a friend and I fancied seeing the same block in other colours and this is what I came up with.
 More of a Spring snowflake and as we have been forecast chilly weather here until the end of April it feels most apt!

sib blog

14 comments:

  1. what a difference using different fabrics makes, I don't know which one is my favourite, like them both

    ReplyDelete
  2. Pretty Kerry and terrific piecing. I love both but I like the soft neutrals in the first one best!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Really lovely blocks and it's even better that it came from the Kansas City Star newspaper in 1953! I've got the 163 Pattens too ~ what a lovely book and so inspirational too. I was at a mini quilt show last weekend and a vendor selling Japanese books told us that this author's books are going to be translated to English!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Would love to do this but I think I might epp as I don't fancy those y seams ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I would rather see these snowflakes than the ones that have fallen every day this week up here!

    ReplyDelete
  6. What beautifully constructed blocks, both in accuracy and colour choices.

    ReplyDelete
  7. You always make the most wonderful blocks. Both colourways are lovely but I just love the low volume one.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Both are beautiful and I love that book! Such a great resource!

    ReplyDelete
  9. thank you Kerry, the block is amazing!!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Both blocks are beautiful. The colors of the first block remind me of Japanese quilting.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Love both blocks! I need to get that print{ that I mentioned on flickr}. Maybe after all the crazy time this week and next week then I can just "shop". I really found blue and yellow are great contrast colors to each other and the brown in the background really bring the colors forward...:) love all the floral prints.. :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. It's interesting to see how choice of fabrics/colors change the whole impression of a block! These two look so different, but both are equally beautiful!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time out to leave your thoughts, I do very much appreciate you stopping by! Blogger is not sending comments through by email at the moment so I'll reply in the comments.