Monday 12 December 2011

Infinity and beyond

Sometimes, lots of times, making something is a compulsion.  Last night I decided I had to make an infinity scarf at 6.30pm.  By 7.30 pm it was pretty much done- finished during an X factor ad break.  Hmm, cosy, Anna Maria Horner voile and flannel.
I bought the flannel here, $5 a yard- such a bargain and have Katy to thank for nudging me in this direction.  I bought 4 different prints, this was the only AMH print- I wish I had ordered more!  It is the most snuggly cosy fabric, full PJs in this would be heaven.  I have a stack of voile FQs and some scrappy pieces so I set to work following this tute which makes a scarf out of around 2 quarter yard strips.  You can make a wider and longer version using Anna Maria Horner's tute here .  I haven't done a tutorial, what follows are a few tips from making it.
I cut my fabrics to make 2 lengths-one flannel, one voile and I pieced bits together to make the length up- each was 9.25"x54".  You then need to pin the two lengths, right side together- I used vertical pinning to keep the slippy voile in place.  I aworked my way down one edge for 12" and then flipped it over and pinned down the other side for 12" and so on- this keeps the edges even and the fabrics nice and flat and allows you to sew both sides from end to end in the same direction.
To join the tube, on one end you can see 0.5" pressed under and the raw other end pinned on top inside, pin heads are on the outer part- don't want to stitch them in!
I then put the outside on top and pinned again, basted and then stitched straight down, you can see the stitching in the first pic.  Anna Maria uses a hand sew method to keep the tube open.
Place on and twist.  I hate posing for a head type shot, memories of bad school photos I guess.
Silly picture...
Sensible picture...
A quick gift should you need something else to make!  I am going his and hers on this project- Damian is getting a square scarf (he keeps one over his nose at night, don't ask!)  I laid out all the flannel I had bought and he chose the Buttoned Up.  
 Gotta love Anna Maria Horner, she is a genius with fabric and different substrates- I love that word!  She is the queen of substrates.

Now give me that scarf back, my neck needs the warmth!
sib blog

22 comments:

  1. Looks great. I've already made a stack of these as Christmas presents this year.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looks excellent Kerry! Those colours really suit you. Thanks for the tute links.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It looks fantastic, I'm going to be on the look out for flannel! A scarf over his nose?! Intrigued!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Pretty, pretty! I am laughing at your husband covering his nose at night...I really want to hear more about that.

    ReplyDelete
  5. beautiful kerry! [btw: you have GREAT hair. :)]
    i also bought some AMH flannel in that sale, could not resist at that price.
    one last question: i remember you mentioned you would want to make a quilt from the little folks voiles. have you decided yet what pattern it is going to be? i am really curious...

    ReplyDelete
  6. Kerry, you and your scarf look beautiful!! Thanks for the tute link. I need to make a xmas gift for my mom and this may be the perfect one (along with leila's organizer) : )

    ReplyDelete
  7. Very pretty!! I think there must be such a big electrical surge during ad breaks, kettles and sewing machines!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. so cute kerry! i love it. i really need to make one for myself! it has been so cold in idaho lately that i haven't taken my other scarves off.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh that looks fab, I think I need one too!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oohh I do love that I will add this to my list of things to do! I'm virtually living in scarves at the minute too.
    Kandi x

    ReplyDelete
  11. oh your scraf does look lovely and snuggly. I'm wearing my voile scarf at the moment but the flannel does sound wonderful - might have to ask Santa for some :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Marvelous scarf and tips for making it. And it's great yo put a face with your name. You look fabulous!

    ReplyDelete
  13. That scarf looks gorgeous! Every time you make something, you make me want to make the same thing for myself! Now a scarf is added to my never ending to do list because of you!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Last night about 7:30 I was also making scarves. With Anna Maria Horner voile. Mine will be Christmas gifts.

    Yours is gorgeous. I love how you twisted it!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Love the scarf! Must get my hands on some flannel it looks so cozy!

    ReplyDelete
  16. This looks fantastic.. you make me want to make one :) Thanks for the link to the fabric shop. The price is really great :)

    ReplyDelete
  17. AMH flannel is the softest thing known to man! I just got my hands on some for a laptop case and want to stoke it all day. Circle scarf is the way to go, and yours is beautiful! What does voile feel like? I don't think I've ever seen any in real life...

    ReplyDelete
  18. So pretty Kerry! I do need a last minute gift and I've been itching to make one of these anyways! I actually have some flannel and voile now so I can do this! Woohoo!

    ReplyDelete
  19. I love that scarf! Great fabric choices!

    ReplyDelete
  20. gorgeous, Kerry...I think I may be making me some of these...;-)

    ReplyDelete
  21. Love that, but when I try to link to tute you said you used it tells me webpage unavailable :(

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time out to leave your thoughts, I do very much appreciate you stopping by! Blogger is not sending comments through by email at the moment so I'll reply in the comments.