Thursday 20 January 2011

Quilt-a-long with me?

It was my friend Kathy's birthday.  She is a great friend, very supportive and lots of fun plus our dogs were from the same litter, so we have a bond!  Last year I made her a little log cabin coin purse/pouch,  it is wearing out a bit now so time for a new one.
I made the shape up so it was a bit experimental.  At one point it was way too big and like a toiletries purse- not the look I was aiming for. I free pieced the K with purple linen.  I squared off the bottom to give a bit of body to the shape so it can comfortably hold coins, this meant the fabric spelt out Cups Butt on the bottom, noticed of course by her teenage son-it had completely bypassed me.  The fabric is Suzuko Koseki cotton/linen cooking print, and there is a layer of cotton batting between that and the black polka lining.
 It is small enough to fit in your hand, large enough for notes.
Having used much of my solitarty FQ of Cosmo Early Bird Yellow plaid in a quilt block I knew I would need more.  When I bought this I thought I wouldn't use yellow much and now I can't get enough of it.  The teal and the exercise book stripes are a great accompaniment, all bought from Quilted Castle (USA), although I think stocks are going.  The cup is the most beautiful Le Cresuset graduating turquoise colour .
I yielded to that and having read Amber's blog One Shabby Chick this morning, I checked out the link to an etsy shop  and bought a pile of Ruby Star Rising at a price that is cheaper than it will be in the UK.  I already know what I plan to make so I can sort of justify this but no more buying, making instead.  I have been drawing inspiration together for DQS10, this is for shapes and form.
And I am working on another secret mini quilt for Favourite Little Quilt Swap.  I wish I could show you, I am so pleased with it but the swap works on secrecy even of pics so no sneaky peeks.  So in the mean time, I am starting on a wonky Circle of Stars Baby Quilt- care to join me?  I am going to make it a quilt-a-long.  I am not sure if any one wants to quilt-a-long with me but as I am going to blog it I thought it was worth putting the offer out!  It will be made of 9 wonky star blocks, easy peasy! You will need some scraps and other stuff, list below.  Mine will be pink, your will be...?

 You will need:
1.  At least one yard of solid fabric, or being more generous 1 meter- (equivalent to 1 yard and 3 inches)
2.  Scraps for the starts, I am fussy cutting centre squares so you will need  9 x 5 inch squares (larger to allow for the fussy cutting.
3.  Scraps for the triangle points-great scrap buster.  Scraps need to contrast with the solid.
4.  1 yard/1 meter cotton batting, I use warm and natural.
5.  Fabric for binding.  Could be pieced or all one fabric.  If you do the bias binding option the way I do it, 1 fat quarter will be ample.  If you do straightgrain binding. you would need under 1/2 yard or a 1/4 metre length which is cut selvedge to selvedge.
I will make a button in case you want to put it on your own blog- I am on it now!  In the meantime, the sketch above gives you an idea of the layout.  It will be very flexible and a lot of the choices are up to you but I will give you the instructions to make a circle out of 9 wonky star blocks.   I need to get this made for the end of February at the latest so I will post the first instructions asap. Leave me a comment if you are joining in, nice to know if you are x
sib blog

6 comments:

  1. Love that little coin purse you made!
    A wonky stars quilt is still on my 'to do' list, but it will have to wait I've got too many other commitments right now.
    I hope lots of people join you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm interested in the Circle of Stars, for my guild collects baby quilts for the hospital's neonatal unit each March. This looks like a fun quilt that the parents would like!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think I will join you... and of course I would love a button!

    My sister is pregnant and I have been collecting baby fabrics for some time, so this would be the perfect project to use up some of my overwhelming about of fabric.

    Can't wait to start! Will blog about my fabrics later, check it out: www.bluejcottage.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ok back, now that I have immediately gone and purchased some of the paper fabric I can finish reading the rest of your post...lol. I will try to join you in the quilt-a-long. It sounds like fun!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Kerry! I will join in as I need to bust my stash!! I'm intrigued to know what you plan to use the Ruby Star Rising for?? Its a line that I feel I need to have in my collection but am desperately trying to hold off!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I will watch how your quilt along goes and might eventually join. Love wonky stars! I promised myself to finish my to-do list first, but then, I also promised myself to lower my fabric stash. This could be a good way!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time out to leave your thoughts, I do very much appreciate you stopping by! Blogger is not sending comments through by email at the moment so I'll reply in the comments.