Sunday 30 July 2017

Sew House Seven Burnside Bibs in Linen : Pattern Review

I've always loved dungarees and aprons; 70s styling, skirts that wrap, dresses that tie, a bib front and now is a good time for those sewing those styles. There's such a range of patterns available and I was finally nudged into action by Sarah of Pretty Fabrics and Trims who mentioned the Burnside Bibs by Sew House Seven in an email exchange.  I had two metres of gorgeous linen from a destash purchase, I had the pattern printed in copy shop format, I was good to go!





I chose version 1, a more fitted trouser with an invisible side zip and I opted for a straight across bib. The pattern also includes a looser trouser with pull on waist and a curved bib so you can mix and match the style elements. Size wise, following the body measurement guidelines, I cut out a size 2 bib; widening to 4 at the waist, and a size 4 lower half.  I could manage to squeeze a full length pair out of 2 metres but I wanted the summery feel of the cropped style. The length of these uses the pattern hem line; I am 5' 5"/ 164cm in height.  It's a well written pattern and fitting is minimal as the apron ties bring the waist in and out. 



The only change I made was adding a layer of Liberty lawn to interline the pockets as they are sewn on to the front and I thought the linen would bag out in use.  I also added a light fusible interfacing strip into the zip side seams.  Otherwise, everything was as written in the pattern.A future change I would make would be to stay stitch the underarm section of the bib and maybe interface it with a very lightweight fusible as it did go a little out of shape at the edges.


The fit is good, especially in the trouser section. Dungarees are not the most flattering look on the derrière but I think these have the balance about right and you could easily make a few adjustments to make them more fitted, or choose the looser trouser pattern and have a baggy look.  The size 2 bib is very slightly short and in hindsight, size 4 throughout would've been fine but the difference is minimal.  They are a satisfying make and great to wear on a hot day out, the leg has just the right width to it, they look wide leg and not like clown pants!  I have the Tea Dress in my dressmaking queue, along with some beautiful linen from USA so I'm tempted to start that next.  


Other dungaree pattern suggestions:

SaveSaveSaveSaveSaveSaveSaveSave

4 comments:

  1. This is super cute. Love the style and how it crisscrosses at the back with the drawstrings at the end. Perfect summer attire.

    ReplyDelete
  2. They are really cute Kerry. Perfect summer item!

    ReplyDelete
  3. They're very, very cute on you - perfect for summer walks on the beach, I think!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow, Nice!! I love these types of linen dungarees. Really cool.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time out to leave your thoughts, I do very much appreciate you stopping by! Blogger is not sending comments through by email at the moment so I'll reply in the comments.