Monday 23 November 2015

Farmer's Wife QAL Blocks 21 & 22: Carrie and Cat

Week 10  in the  Farmer's Wife 1930s Quilt Along and here are blocks 21 and 22!  Block 21, Carrie (p.180, letter p.116) is a straightforward blocks with a lovely bow detail and Charise of Charise Creates is guest posting on this block, she's also been posting all her completed blocks so far on her Farmer's Wife Friday posts- check them out, they are very cute!  Here's my paper pieced Carrie block.


Fabric credits:
Blue dot floral- unknown
Kona Buttercup
Marcus Brother Fabrics, Aunt Grace Simpler Sampler, Flower Toss Pink



Block 22 is Cat (p. 181, letter p.141).  This block comes out in mirror image to the photograph if you paper piece the block using the pattern on the CD.  I contacted Laurie Aaron Hird about this a few weeks back and she is always quick to get in touch with the editorial team.  It is something they will comment on next time the book goes to print so piecers know what to expect.  It doesn't make a huge visual difference to the final block, but it can be a bit confusing if you piece whilst looking at the photograph!  I ended up constructing 'Cat' as a nine-patch block.  I foundation paper pieced the squares made up of triangles and cut my squares following the rotary cutting dimensions.   As usual, I precut all my pieces before foundation piecing the triangles making my triangles ¼"-½" bigger than the rotary cutting sizes.  Once all the squares were made, I sewed the squares into rows and joined the rows.  


This pic shows the back view of the squares ready to join together.  The joining seams don't jigsaw as nicely as Carrie.

Fabric credits:
Kona Persimmon
Lecien Yarn Dyed mini gingham in mint
Windham, Heather Ross Tiger Lily Butterflies in brown

Top tips for this block:
  • Use a water based glue stick- I use Sewline- to stick the first piece of each section
  • Chain piece the triangles
  • Rotary cut the squares
  • Join block together as a nine-patch
Remember you can:
  • Use the hashtags  Don't forget to use #fw1930sqal on Instagram and the Flickr group if you like to share there.  
  • For individual blocks, you can use #carrieblock and #catblock on Instagram. are using these hash tags, #fw21carrie,  #fw22cat, I'm using both hashtag systems.
  • You can also copy and paste links to any blog posts you do on these blocks in the comments and I'd love to visit and take a look. 
  • Watch and join in on Periscope.  I'll be talking about chain piecing and seam nesting/pressing on periscope.tv/@verykb at 2.30pm GMT today.  It will be available for 24 hours to replay before it disappears! Link will be in my twitter feed @verykb and I'll post on Instagram and twitter about 15 minutes before it goes out.  
Please note:  I have linked to my sponsors on items bought through them and elsewhere for anything that has come from other shops.

You can join the quilt-along at any time, all the posts are here for you to catch up with.  Back next Monday with Jessie  from Sew and Quilt  and blocks 23 and 24.   

sib blog

2 comments:

  1. Kerry, I print my patterns in mirror image. Some printers have that function or if you have the full edition of Adobe (not reader) you can reverse the PDFs. Hoping to get caught up over the American holiday weekend!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time out to leave your thoughts, I do very much appreciate you stopping by! Blogger is not sending comments through by email at the moment so I'll reply in the comments.