Tuesday 21 December 2010

Shortest day, last quilt of 2010

 Love hate love hate love love love   
 - is how my relationship with this quilt has been-finally finished, hurrah!  And I admit to being very pleased with it, although not as pleased as Lula is which the best thing as it is for her.  She refused to let me drape it artfully over a snowy fence, that can wait for another time, so bedroom pics for the moment.  
The germ of this quilt started last year when Manda McGregory included a little Urban Chiks Swell Moda charm pack baby quilt in an early edition of Sewhip, and I bought the charm packs and a jelly roll from USA after searching for them feverishly online.  I mixed with a little Cath Kidston, Katie Jump Rope, Old Laura Ashley fabrics (the Cath Kidston figure of  1970s and 1980s), vintage prints and the placement of large applique motifs inspired by this quilt (Material Obsession)
Lula chose her favourite themes- ice cream, cup cake etc and I made these the feature blocks.  She helped me layout the charm squares to avoid repetition.  The quilt was made in six sections, each is quilted and then joined to the next section with narrow strips- quilt-as-you-go style.  This Happy Zombie tutorial shows the technique but I machined instead of hand sewing when finshing the back strips.  The binding- attaching this was driving me nuts this morning, it took forever- is pieced red and pink strips from the jelly roll.  I use Rita- Red Pepper Quilts machine binding method but I start attaching on the back and so my final line of stitching on the front.
You can see her pillow case and a bit of wall paper- both Cath Kidston, that the same print is repeated in the quilt here and there.
Each time I embark on a quilt I forget how long it takes me to finish one, I refilled the bobbin four times this morning.
Quick view of the back- not too exciting, all old Laura Ashley prints, the largest part form an enormous circular table cloth I picked up at the boot sale.  
A little stamped label.  I asked if she would prefer 'Mum' or 'Mummy'- you can see her choice x
You can see another proud mummy quilt at Leila's blog Where the Orchid's Grow.  She beat me and finished yesterday!  It made me laugh when I saw her pic, I felt the same need to get mine done for Christmas, and the extra cold weather driving me on.  I made 4 quilts this year, it seems paltry compared to some amazing mosaics I've seen recently but I made a whole load of smaller stuff and each quilt is a labour of love and a labour of plain old hard work.
I love making clothes and small stuff but the quilting is intensely rewarding, especially when finished!   My next biggish project- a baby quilt for a friend- baby due Feb.
 This is my last entry before Christmas so a vintage pic of seasonal good wishes on the shortest day of the year and a big thank you to all of you who read,  comment and email- I am truly touched when you do so!
Have a lovely Christmas, wherever you are and however you choose to celebrate x

sib blog

18 comments:

  1. The quilt is absolutely beautiful, I hope your daughter loves it for years to come.

    Happy Christmas!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That quilt is so tender and wonderful with it's soft colors and vintage fabrics mixed in. I really like the design and way you brought it together! A labor of love indeed! I also wish you a Merry Christmas and many special moments throughout the festive season!

    ReplyDelete
  3. A beautiful quilt! I love the label too!
    Have a Merry Christmas!

    ReplyDelete
  4. oh your quilt makes me wish for a girl! Cupcakes and vintage Laura Ashley flowers, it's absolutely gorgeous in it's girly glory without being too pink.
    I had a little shock reading, thinking 'hey that's the same as my name' before I realised you actually meant me he he, thanks Kerry!
    Merry christmas to you too x

    ReplyDelete
  5. Really love the quilt. Really love.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love one-of-a-kind quilts like this and also your sweet label.

    Have a very Merry Christmas!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Happy Christmas to you too Kerry - it's been fun getting to know you and see the wonderful things you've produced this year - I really love this quilt - you've managed to make a very girly quilt also look cool - and that label is so gorgeous. I love the other quilts you've made this year too, two of which I hadn't seen before and have to go off and have a proper look at. As you know, though, my faves of yours this year have to be the teapot and the "L" star coaster! X

    ReplyDelete
  8. Dear Kerry,

    Perfection. I bet one dreams nicer covered in that quilt.

    Wishing you and yours all that is Merry and Bright.
    Elise x

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi Kerry,

    A very gorgeous girlie quilt, I bet Lula loves it! Have a really lovely Christmas.

    Justine xx

    ReplyDelete
  10. WAUW! What a great, lovely, beautiful quilt!!!
    Merry Christmas to you!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I can totally relate about the love hate love hate relationship with quilts. But you must LOVE this quilt! It is really sweet and cute! The dessert applique is really nice too! Lula is so lucky to have a mum like you!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I LOVE the quilt, Kerry, I wish it was under my tree :)

    Merry Christmas and Happiest of Holidays to you and your family!

    Yours,
    Mia

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hello Kerry! I love this sweet quilt! You have made it so beautiful and with most wonderful colours and details! The back is lovely like that! Thank you for inspiration!
    I wish you Merry Christmas and Happy New Year!
    Teje

    ReplyDelete
  14. Thank you for so many lovely comments and Christmas wishes, a sparkly and lovely Christmas to you all x

    ReplyDelete
  15. That's a fantastic quilt. I love that you chose the appliques to match your daughter's taste.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Your quilt is prettier than your inspiration quilt. Your daughter shall love it for years to come. How nice to sleep under a quilt made for you by your mom!!!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Beautiful job Kerry! Just lovely. Adore the tea party theme. Lucky Lula!

    ReplyDelete
  18. The quilt is beautiful! I wish I had the patience and the skills for it (one day!) but right now I'll just admire yours :)

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time out to leave your thoughts, I do very much appreciate you stopping by! Blogger is not sending comments through by email at the moment so I'll reply in the comments.