Saturday 14 July 2018

The Gathered Dress Hack: Maxi Version

I've liked the fit of my Gathered Dresses (long sleeve and short sleeve versions) so much, especially the bodice, that I knew I wanted to try the bodice on other dresses so this is my first hack.  I had two metres of wide double gauze from Stitch fabrics, bought at a local craft show earlier this year and I wanted to make a maxi sundress with it to maximise its floaty qualities.  So, I used the top bodice and sleeve, tracing the front piece off and shortening it to the pattern waistline marking on the back bodice.  I added the skirt and pockets from an old favourite,  Simplicity 1801 (here's the original post for this pattern).   







I've used this skirt with Maxi Darling Ranges dresses several times and I love the front and back centre gathers, deep pockets and smooth line over the hips. The gathers make it an easy marriage between bodice and skirt and as with the Darling Ranges dress, I added ties to bring the waist in whilst still keeping a relaxed fit. This double gauze is softer and has more drape than a Nani Iro double gauze so the finished dress has a floaty look and feel and is really comfortable in hot weather.  I used the short sleeve from the Gathered Dress pattern and rolled up the finished sleeve which works well in this fabric.  I think the bodice will be perfect to adapt for tops so I predict more hacks in the future! 
SaveSaveSaveSave

4 comments:

  1. It’s gorgeous! And always good to find a more drapey double gauze too - Nani Iro is really lovely for structured sundresses, but often doesn’t feel the right choice for things that have more fluid lines. x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was such a lucky find, one of those fabrics that I definitely should've bought more of! Thank you Florence x

      Delete
  2. Lovely dress- reminds me of those Toast dresses that cost a fortune. Perfect match of pattern and fabric.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do love a Toast dress, although I also baulk at the price! Thank you so much, this dress has seen a lot of wear.

      Delete

Thank you for taking the time out to leave your thoughts, I do very much appreciate you stopping by! Blogger is not sending comments through by email at the moment so I'll reply in the comments.