Monday 29 February 2016

Farmer's Wife QA: blocks 47 and 48, Joy and Judy

Welcome back for another couple of Farmer's Wife blocks in the quilt along.  This week Jessie returns as guest blogger for the first of these blocks, number 47, Joy (p.209, letter p.94).  Read about her block here.


Fabric credits:
Lecien Blue/white pin dot from this mini bundle


Block 48, Judy was certainly the faster and easier block to make, (207, letter p.152)


Fabric credits:
Kona Buttercup
Ditsy flowers from this mini bundle  
Riley Blake Fancy and Fabulous Breath in Mint

I didi find a slight discrepancy in the pattern (printed from the CD).  The top edge seam allowance of section E (where it will join to D) came up well under ¼".  All other seam allowances were fine so I'm not quite sure what happened but I'm mentioning it in case you find the same!  Let me know if you do.


I pre-cut all the block pieces using my usual generous rotary cutting measurements for foundation paper piecing.  I used a mix of freezer paper templates and rotary cutting.   Remember to add ½" seam allowances to the freezer paper templates so that your fabric pieces are larger than needed.

Rotary Cutting for Foundation Paper Piecing
C1, C2, D1, D2: cut (4) 1 ¾" square 
A4, A6, B4, B6: cut (2) 3 ¼" squares, sub-cut each in half diagonally to make 4 half-square triangles.
A5, A7, B5, B7:  cut (2) 3 ¼" squares, sub-cut each in half diagonally to make 4 half-square triangles



Top tips for this block
  • Pre-cut all pieces
  • Use a water based glue stick. I use Sewline, to stick the first piece of each section
  • Chain piece- especially identical sections
  • Nest seams where possible
  • Remove paper when needed- I leave it on as long as possible as it stabilises the sections.  This  can mean just tearing part of a section off. I remove paper when I sew section seams. 
  • Press section seams open
I found the letter for this block a slightly odd read.  It's from a farmer's wife who after many years of scrimping saving and not been able to go on a holiday, culls all her chickens and sets off for a break in a hotel.  She ends up working there to fund the rest of her holiday and only returns when her daughters' write saying they have no suitable clothes left to go to school in!

Remember you can:
  • Hashtag  #fw1930sqal on Instagram, you are welcome to tag me and you can also add photos to the Flickr group if you like to share there.  
  • For individual blocks, you can use #joyblock and #judyblock on Instagram, Fat Quarter Shop and Angie are using these hash tags, #fw47joy,  #fw48judy, I'm using both hashtag systems.
  • You can also copy and paste links to any blog posts you do on these blocks in the comments and I'd love to visit and take a look. 
Please note:  I have linked to my sponsors on items bought through them and elsewhere for anything that has come from other shops.

Next week, Sarah of Pretty Little Fabrics will be back with me as guest blogger. 

sib blog

4 comments:

  1. Really love and inspired the block Joy. I really struggled with this block prints. I had green and red pulled out as book, but had went for blue and yellow instead! Need to acquire some nice purple shades and perhaps need to use some solid for the rest of the blocks. :) Thank you, Kerry!

    xxc

    ReplyDelete
  2. The Purple Flower fabric on #47 really hits home! I have several quilts from my grandmother, and this fabric seems so "familiar"! (I always placed the 2 quilts as from the 1930's or 1940's.) I have to say that #47 is my favorite block so far!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You must have a quilt on which the original of this reproduction has been made!

      Delete

Thank you for taking the time out to leave your thoughts, I do very much appreciate you stopping by! Blogger is not sending comments through by email at the moment so I'll reply in the comments.