Lecien Yarn Dyed tiny gingham
P+B textiles: Toy Chest Florals, Trailing Blooms in Yellow
Riley Blake? Sewing text print- scrap from stash
I pre-cut all the block pieces using my usual generous rotary cutting measurements for foundation paper piecing. These create seam allowances larger than ¼" so that your fabric pieces are larger than needed- if you like more wriggle room, cut even bigger! I've referenced my colour choices- substitute your own.
Rotary Cutting for Foundation Paper Piecing
A1: cut (1) 2" square
A3, A7, F3, G3: cut (4) 1 ¾" x 2" rectangles
A2, A4, A6, A8, F2, F4, G2, G4 : cut (8) 1 ¾" x 2" rectangles
B2, B4, C2, C4, D2, D4, E2, E4: cut (4) 2 ¼" squares, sub-cut each in half diagonally to make 8 half-square triangles.
A5, A9, B1, B5, C1, C5, D1, D5, E1, E5, F1, G1: cut (6) 2 ¼" squares, sub-cut each in half diagonally to make 12 half-square triangles.
B3, C3, D3, E3: cut (4) 2 ¼' x 3" rectangles
Top tips for this block
- Pre-cut all pieces
- Use a water based glue stick. I use Sewline, to stick the first piece of each section
- Chain piece- especially identical sections
- Nest seams where possible
- Remove paper when needed- I leave it on as long as possible as it stabilises the sections.
- Stitch around the edge of the block within the seam allowance to stabilise any bias edges
To maximise seam nesting, I changed the order of piecing on sections C and E:
C1 became C5
C2 became C4
C3 remains the same
C4 became C2
C5 became C1
Remember you can:
- Hashtag #fw1930sqal on Instagram and add photos to the Flickr group if you like to share there.
- For individual blocks, you can use #grannyblock and #heatherblock on Instagram, Fat Quarter Shop and Angie are using these hash tags, #fw41granny, #fw42heather, I'm using both hashtag systems.
- You can also copy and paste links to any blog posts you do on these blocks in the comments and I'd love to visit and take a look.
- You are welcome to watch and join in the chat on Periscope at 2.30pm GMT today, I'm periscope.tv/@verykb. It will be available for 24 hours to replay before it disappears! Link will be in my twitter feed @verykb and I'll post on Instagram and twitter about 15 minutes before it goes out.
Please note: I have linked to my sponsors on items bought through them and elsewhere for anything that has come from other shops.
Next week, Jo Avery will be back with me as guest blogger.