Wednesday 17 June 2015

HandmadeStyle: Anna Graham

A few months back Anna got in touch to ask if I could test a pattern in her forthcoming book and now here is the book and it is just like her, full of effortless stylish information and basics that as soon as you see them you feel you have to make them!


It is divided into three sections, 'To Use', 'To Wear', 'To Carry'.  I tested the Gingham Tote pattern; the double zip version.  These are the book versions.


It is a rotary cut pattern which is my preference for bags and a practical design with ample storage options.  I used Ayumi's Lighthearted fabrics for the front pocket and the straps, the main bag is some linen that was a swap from years back, the zips were from Chase and the linings were a mix of stash fabrics.  I passed on my feedback I can see how the book text and diagrams have been tweaked from the version I received.  The bag went together smoothly and I love the result.  It is my work bag, I wear it cross body and it easily carries my food, drink, keys and random musical instruments.  I keep hair bobbles in to the top pocket and emergency snack bars in the bottom pocket.  


I like the way the bag fabric continues as a facing on the inner bag section.


My only change was to use cotton webbing (bought locally, find similar here) rather than construct my own bag straps.  The hard wear came from an old bag.



It is a book that could not possibly disappoint.  Each item is useful and restrained- no fussiness and a great attention to detail with pockets, fastenings and beautiful finishing touches.
 These are the items that most appealed and are on my to-do list.

Makeup travel case


Chambray Dress
I plan to make this as a top.  The envelope neck opening is a comfortable and easy neckline for summer and I love the way the shape repeats in the overlapping cuffs.


Double Zip Wallet
I've never made a wallet before and I like to take a lighter purse when I travel anywhere so this would be perfect.


Carry-all Pincushion
A jumbo storage pin cushion: these have already been appearing on Instagram!


< > quilt
My favourite designs in the book.  This quilt is constructed using the freezer paper technique  and I love the simplicity.  It would make a great pattern for a duvet cover too.


The project photographs are all at the front of the book, followed by the projects which are a mix of written instructions and hand drawn diagrams.  There is a full size pattern pull out at the back.  Clothes sizing is from XS to 2XL.The whole book is a delight and it's from the heart.  I can feel the hard work that Anna has poured into this and she must be incredibly proud, every design is a winner!

It is a Lucky Spool Book and you can find it on Amazon, Wordery and Book Depository,

sib blog

1 comment:

  1. This looks like a gem. Anna has a real talent for designing patterns that are 'must makes'. Great stuff

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time out to leave your thoughts, I do very much appreciate you stopping by! Blogger is not sending comments through by email at the moment so I'll reply in the comments.