Sunday 28 April 2013

Aeroplane Bag: Ready to travel

I finished the Aeroplane bag without a hitch.  The Clover clips came in very handy for the metal zipper...
 I tucked the ends of the zipper away so the bag seam will meet the zipper neatly (ish).
You can see how this worked.  I drew the line from the 1/2" seam allowance towards the 1/4" zipper seam.  With the bulky ends tucked away it allows the machine foot to get closer to the zipper stitching.  I used the Janome Horizon dual feed feet which is brilliant at bag zips.
Clover clips were handy at the bottom of the bag for creating the boxed in corners with the super heavy interfacing.
It is a very straightforward pattern.  The only tricky bit is when the lining is sewn to the zip- the ends are fiddly and I ended up finishing the very ends by hand.  Sara has already noted this as something to watch out for when you get to this stage.  Otherwise, it is a very satisfying make.  The Soft and Stable is pretty amazing, the bag will  bounce back into shape however squished it gets.  I made the regular size and I can fit a double quilt and still have over half a bag of space left.


 Big enough to take my Strawberry Fields to Fat Quarterly Retreat in July where it will meet at least 3 of its makers.





 And 3 winners of bag patterns are...
1.  The Running Hare
2. Ella and Nesta
3. Heidi Staples
I have passed your emails to Sara and she will be in touch with you to sort out your bag patterns.  And if you didn't win, keep an eye out for more patterns at Sara's blog, I've seen an amazing wallet that she has been working on in her Instagram feed.
sib blog

16 comments:

  1. I have plenty of bags but feel compelled to make one of these too. Love your K and zipper pull :}

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's beautiful, I just finished a bag from Sara too and I think I have to try this One too :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I just finished one of these bags today too. It's a great pattern, I did find the zipper ends/ seam bit rather tricky so it is far from perfect but it will do. I have plenty of soft and stable left so will be making another I'm sure. Love yours, great textures.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This would make a great camera bag. I love the look of it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your bag is lovely and clearly very roomy. I can't believe my good luck in winning one of the patterns- I never win anything. I'm really thrilled!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. You use the dual feed foot for zippers? Can you tell me how? Do you let it ride on top of the zipper? I have Janome too--the Memory Craft 6600--but never thought to use it for that.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love it so so much!! I ended up hand stitching the zipper ends too, but yours look great!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I just bought fabric for this bag yesterday and can't wait to start. So thanks for the tips!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Absolutely fabulous! So is it getting a practice run before FQR then?

    ReplyDelete
  10. Its gorgeous Kerry and the size has swung me as a 'must sew' for lugging all my stuff to FQR - it looks like a Mary Poppins bag!!! I love all the personal touches that you've added - hope you enjoy using it soon, Sx

    ReplyDelete
  11. It's lovely Kerry! Especially like the little K ~ such a nice personal touch. Where did you get that zipper?
    This bag looks roomy enough for my little travel sewing machine. I'm going to have to make it!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Kerry, this is gorgeous! Like everyone else, I also like your initial "K" stitch at the top of the bag! The size and the shape of the bag look so practical and stylish :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. you did an amazing job on this. i've been eyeing up this pattern to make a bag to carry my machine to guild sew ins. i'll have to whip one of those up in all of my spare time ;)

    ReplyDelete
  14. Thank you so very much for the giveaway! Can't wait to try the patterns!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Your bag turned out great. I bought the clover clips too, very handy.
    Groetjes
    Annemieke

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time out to leave your thoughts, I do very much appreciate you stopping by! Blogger is not sending comments through by email at the moment so I'll reply in the comments.