Wednesday 23 July 2014

Jungle Ave Lady Skater

It is not very often that I am encourage to make clothing for my daughter- she has no shortage of quilts and pillows but clothing for a teen are a totally different  affair.  However, when I showed her Sara's Jungle Ave fabric range, she leapt on the dotted knit fabric. And so, the Lady Skater in Dotted Boulevard came into being.


I have known Sara from the online sewing world for a while now- we share a mutual love of garment sewing alongside quilting, making bags and other makes.  She is a sweet, generous and hugely hardworking lady and to see her as part of the Art Gallery team with a Limited Edition collection is wonderful!   She offered me some of her fabric along with some other quilty/bag making/clothes sewing bloggers to help showcase the range as it becomes available to buy any time now.


The dress pattern is Lady Skater by Kitschy Coo.  It was on offers recently for a ridiculously low price and is available as a PDF download.  It is quick to stick together and the instructions are very detailed.  I made size 1 sewn with ¼" rather than ⅜" seams and I made a test bodice before cutting into the good 
stuff.  The hem was shortened a little, otherwise, no changes.  It was sewn with a mix of lightning stitch on my Janome and also with my Brother 1034d overlocker/serger.


The pattern worked well with the fabric.  This jersey has 5% spandex so it has good recovery: it springs back into shape and over areas where jersey can bag out, like bottoms, elbows and knees and it will keep its shape making it good for close fitting garments like leggings, camisoles, t shirts- even knickers!  It also has nice drape and would gather easily and without too much bulk.


We went as urban as we could in a small city in Devon- a little road signage, faded paint and background textural variety to pay homage to Sara's Chicago inspiration.  I think this is my favourite pic!  I have to thank Lula for being my model- she is rather shy in front of the camera so we had to have a lot of giggles to get her through!   The dress is a hit with her- it's a great fabric/pattern combo for a teen. 


sib blog

14 comments:

  1. what a great dress! So rare to find teen-friendly patterns

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lovely fabric! Looks like it fits pretty perfectly too. I recently made one for myself (minus toile) which needs a bit of grading down at the shoulders but it's a great pattern.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a cute dress, and a gorgeous young lady! x

    ReplyDelete
  4. I want her dress and her hair!

    ReplyDelete
  5. adorable! i bet my girls would like this one, too.

    ReplyDelete
  6. It's so invigorating when our people want us to sew for them.
    Icing on the cake when they love what we sewed.
    Your daughter has gorgeous hair.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Beautiful dress, fabric and model.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Why, oh why, I haven't seen clothes for your daughter before? It's such a lovely dress! And your daughter looks great too, amazing hair color. I suppose she is still your 'little' sweetie although she isn't a kid anymore:)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Darling dress and daughter! So nice when our children love what we do for them!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Perfect, the dress and the model :o)

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time out to leave your thoughts, I do very much appreciate you stopping by! Blogger is not sending comments through by email at the moment so I'll reply in the comments.