Friday 4 May 2012

Vintage Grocery Scales

I have had more deadlines than usual recently, most of them are behind me now but now I have a stack of late bee blocks.  So I made a start on the latest, Ayumi's Ringo Pie block.  Her them was 'vintage grocery store' and my first thought was grocery scales.  I have been wanting to do a scales block for ages.  I plan my blocks on 12" quilter's graph paper, you can just make out the sketch below.
Planning: ringo pie vintage grocery scales block for Ayumi
I have to go with the flow on blocks like this.  It was a mix of freezer paper, foundation paper piecing, seam ripper and crossing my fingers but I did manage to make it work.
Block in progress
The Suzuko Koseki clock print helped me out on this block, there were some numbers with just the right curve for the scale display and I stamped a little pen nib as the arrow to show the weight. 
And on the scales, a tiny bar of chocolate!  The fabrics were all from my stash, the background is Lecien, a Mrs March print, the clocks are Suzuko Koseki available at Eternal Maker, the grey text was from Ayumi, the chocolate bar was from Chase- Yuwa print I think.  The grey check was a Sweetwater print, the addition print is an old Windham American vintage print, the turquoise solid is a vintage textured cotton that I seem to have had forever and the wood grain is Joel Dewberry's Aviary line.
Only three more blocks to go until I am up to date...I'll get there in the end.
sib blog

23 comments:

  1. Deeelightful! Love the pattern, and love those little chalkboard feet!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Fabulous block!! Your skill astounds me!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Fabulous block, and as usual the fabric choices are inspired :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. It's just wonderful. That clock print is just the thing! It could have been stamped but it is just so much cooler to have found fabric with the numbers on an curve!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Very cool, and love the wee feet an everything!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Gorgeous! All the elements work so well together :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. It looks so real! I love it!

    ReplyDelete
  8. that is fantastic! you are one of my quilting heroes! for real. :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Crazy fantastic Kerry!!!! I hadn't seen Ayumi's new theme yet and I must admit I wouldn't have a clue what to do for vintage grocery store. Your scales are just amazing - I especially love the stamped pen nib. Brilliant!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Every single one of your blocks is better than the last. The details are just perfect - my favorite is the addition print as the scale feet!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Wow this pattern is looking REALLY good! I love all the details, especially the tiny chocolate bar on the scale!! I almost fainted for its cuteness :D Simply awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Thankyou Amy! i wasn't sure what to put on the scale and then this little bar shouted out at me!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Wow, that's absolutely amazing! Do you know by chance the name of that fabric with all that German writing (Schokolade, Blume, Halbbitter)?

    ReplyDelete
  14. This looks fabulous! I have an old scale very like that in my kitchen, in it's prior life it was used in a chocolate shop!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I absolutely love this block! You make the most attentive fabric choices and it really pulls it all together. I love the little pen stamp for the scale pointer. It makes it so realistic. I am a baker and all your paper piecing makes me want to do every tool in the kitchen on a quilt!

    ReplyDelete
  16. So clever in so many different ways!!!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Kerry!!! Finding this in Flickr and reading about it here truly made my day! I LOOOOVE it to bits!! Thank you so much for designing and working on such a complicated vintage scale when you are so busy! As usual, I love every fabric you used, the way you fussy cut, and addition of interesting details like the nib and cutest legs!! Caaan't wait to see it in person!!!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time out to leave your thoughts, I do very much appreciate you stopping by! Blogger is not sending comments through by email at the moment so I'll reply in the comments.