Wednesday 25 January 2012

Swapsies

I meet so many lovely people in the online sewing world and every now and again I meet someone I really click with and I can imagine having a cup of tea with whilst swapping ideas and talking fabrics.  Amy is one of those people and we conspired a little swap to follow the rush of Christmas- we have both received our packages so now its show and tell.  Look what I have to show- the cutest little Dresden bag and matching coin purse adapted from Amy's free pattern.
This is a bag with a purpose.  When I teach music in school, I have a little bag with remote control, throat sweets and other vital bits and pieces.   My current bag is a sad and sorry denim patch pocket, well worn so Amy made a replacement.  It needed a strap large enough to cross my body- we move around a lot in music!  You can see me in my work clothes below- the bag is perfect and its little coin pouch partner fits inside!  Both have just the right amount of grey to fit in with my sober serious Mrs Green attire ( gotta have some sort of authority) and the pops of colour make me smile and my eyes glint each time I look at it!
The tiny pouch is the cutest thing with its mini dresden petals!  I can only imagine how fiddly this was for Amy to make.
And Amy included some of her screen printed My Happy Place print (available in her shop)  Such a crisp and neat print on the softest linen.
And a cathedral windows card- this shape really makes me think of Amy!
And I think it was the cathedral windows that lead to me using the petal design on a frame purse in my makes for her.  The flower pattern was from Suzuko Koseki's book Natural Patchwork
It is a tricksy pattern to do with all those curves and I did it the worng way roung and the texts weren't reading how I wanted them to read so the quick unpic came out- but all worked out!  We both added a personal touch with initials!  Fabrics are Japanese linen, Yuwa print and vintage flowery fabric scraps.
The lining is a Suzko Koseki print.   I drafted the purse pattern myself using Lisa's helpful hints at U- handbag and the frame is from Cotton and Cloud.
I found an interesting fabric panel just before I started this swap that I thought would suit Amy.  It is a fine cotton with a lovely text print- I have no idea what it was for, emboridery maybe, but the print stayed on after I washed it.  It was a large rectangle, big enough to make a decent size lined drawstring bag.  The ties are vintage bias binding.
It is hard to photograph white on white, but you get the idea
A very nice swap and a great friendship, makes the world seem a little smaller x
sib blog

21 comments:

  1. And this is the reason I love blogging--and knowing both you and Amy. You are each so wonderfully generous--with your creativity, knowledge and friendship.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It has been the most lovely swap and a lovely friendship!

      Delete
  2. Oh, Cindy, you too!! I love your pictures Kerry. You must be a photoshop wizard or you are getting some better light over there than I am over here. The dresden bag looks nice on you! It's so funny, I am wearing all grey and black at the moment too...birds of a feather :) Thank you for the wonderful swap! I love everything to bits!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I use iphoto to pimp my shots! Loving my bag x

      Delete
  3. Oh how special beautiful! Both of you have made so wonderful work!

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a lovely swap and delightful makes. Enjoy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am over the moon with my half of the swap and i know Amy is pleased with hers too!

      Delete
  5. i love both of them. you are very lucky and so is she! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  6. you both lucked out in this swap for sure.

    ReplyDelete
  7. How lovely to see you two sharing your talents! I love all of the sweet things you sent to each other.

    ReplyDelete
  8. A wonderful swap, the way it should be x

    ReplyDelete
  9. What a fab swap! Overwhelmed by all the gorgeousness :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. What a great swap! You must both be thrilled!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Great swap items. Just gorgeous and yes there is nothing quite like receiving a treat from a sewing friend in the mail.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Your projects are always so amazing. Maybe one day I might be half as talented! I didn't know that you taught music! I am a music teacher here in the states, and I have to say it's pretty much the best job ever. Besides maybe working in a fabric store. :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. What beautiful projects! I didn't know you were a quilty lady AND a music teacher -- now I like you even better. What age children do you teach?

    ReplyDelete
  14. Very cool swap items going both directions! BTW, you are mentioned on Freda's Hive as a blog to visit--way to go!

    ReplyDelete
  15. These are all beautiful K, and practical too! Jxo

    ReplyDelete
  16. Fab, love both sets of goodies :o)

    ReplyDelete
  17. What great makes from both of you! Looks like a wonderful swap!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time out to leave your thoughts, I do very much appreciate you stopping by! Blogger is not sending comments through by email at the moment so I'll reply in the comments.