This is my second Closet Case Cielo top. I made the first last summer as a test piece with some left-over navy double gauze (from this skirt) I chose the short sleeve version and the end result was meh. A boxy, non-descript top that I wore when I couldn't find anything else to work but a bit too boxy, the neck looked too wide and the overall look looked big rather than oversized. I did like some of the details - the back shoulders have an interesting extra section- so I resolved to try the more dramatic long sleeve version with another fabric. Here it is and I love it!
This is a size 3 made in cotton crepe from my stash, several years old and a good weight and drape for this top. I did attempt the full lantern sleeve but it looked better without the low cuff sections. I did make a change to this version, I took 1/4" off the centre front and centre back of the bodice pattern pieces. this makes a 1" reduction to the diameter of the top and works better on my frame. There's a boxy quality but it's slightly more fitted. It's an adjustment I've used a few times- here on the Merchant and Mills Camber Dress, and here on my second Named Clothing Kanerva top. The only other change was adding a high back adjustment. The sleeve and bodice hems are overlocked and turned up by 1/2". I used the bias binding finish on the neck.
It's a top that definitely benefits from the right fabric choice. I do have some viscose crepe with a similar weight to this and I'm tempted to try a dress version mashing the full elbow-length sleeve top with the lower half of the Fibremood Holly dress, complete with a tie. We'll see if that happens anytime soon! I'm finding that my concentration is leading to mistakes with my lockdown sewing projects.