Wednesday 31 July 2019

Cowslip Workshops, Christopher Wilson-Tate Antique Quilt Collection Exhibition Part One

I recently spent a lovely day with my daughter at Cowslip workshops in Cornwall enjoying the recent Christopher Wilson-Tate antique quilt exhibition in the barn.  The quilts dated from late 18th century to very early 20th century, all from the UK.  I found information on some of them which I've included after the relevant photos.  These are my highlights part one, there were so many I had to split this into multiple posts! 




The red and white star quilt is from the North Country, Elizabeth Sanderson, c. 1900.


Some of my choices, like this one, were based on the textures created and the muted bright colour palette.




This one was amazing, so large and such tiny hexagons!  There were workshops taking place in the barn so I took this image from the side so as not to disturb the quilters.  The basting and papers are still intact.  Just look at the thickness of the thread.



All the photos are taking on my iPhone X and the double lens allows for close-up photos without, of course, touching the quilts.


This was my daughter's favourite.   It has such beautiful ripples of colour- notice the diagonal cream patterns?   There was a very interesting fabric selection in this one, lots of shirting, lots of pinks and blues...


This quilt is number one of my two joint favourites.  It's an English Victorian quilt and dates from c.1880 and was described as very rare.  It's an on-point medallion quilt with sashed blocks featuring applique centres.  The applique is so quirky!  Some of the appliques were defined shapes like interlocking rings, others were abstract scraps, all neatly needle turned.



I found it so inspiring, definitely one for my inspiration memory bank.  This next quilt featured a similar applique idea.  A mix of English Paper Piecing with the centre hexagons, and then borders of strips and a crazy paving style applique - such a great way to utilise odd-shaped scraps.


The applique pieces included many different weights and weaves too. 


I'll be back with more in part two.  Which is your favourite so far?

2 comments:

  1. I really like the vintage quilt with the thousands of teeny tiny hexagons, a real work of art and love. x

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the LeMoyne Star...same as your daughter. The ripple, the color wave and the scrappiness. I see one of the these in my future. Thank you so much for taking the time to share and document your observations. It's the next best thing to being there.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time out to leave your thoughts, I do very much appreciate you stopping by! Blogger is not sending comments through by email at the moment so I'll reply in the comments.