Monday 16 May 2011

Ringo Pie May Block

May is Ayumi's month in The Ringo Pie bee and she made a great inspiration mosaic- click here to see, the coloured pencils caught my eye straightaway and the germ of an idea started to grow.  And then Ayumi made this block, which is simply stunning!
My block ~ Ringo Pie Bee
All those colour colur envelopes and prints and some very cute fabric choices.  Just wonderful!  So I had to wait a while to recover from having seen this before I  started mine!
I wanted to do a colour wheel with coloured pencils but I didn't want rainbow order, I fancied a scrappy mix of vintage and new fabrics and more random colours to complement Ayumi's block.  I had to work out the logistics of the pencils first.  Each tip is foundation pieced on to stabiliser- I prefer this to paper.   Foundation piecing is very accurate for little fiddly things like this when the right shape is vital.
Here they all are in their wheel  doodling and writing Ayumi's name.  
She choose a great theme- I had other ideas about letter paper sets and stamps and could've made a whole quilt of blocks.  Each month in Ringo Pie is an education- sometimes the pleasure and pain of each block are a little close together and it was definitely a pain piecing that inner circle as it is on the small side,  but the themes have had so much potential and seeing the designs that the other bee members come up with has been amazing and constantly pushes us all creatively, it is always exciting!
sib blog

23 comments:

  1. What a clever girl you are! Your coloured pencils are sooooo cute! Jxo

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh my goodness, that is amazingly clever! And gorgeous too!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow! I am so impressed by your creativity. Speechless.

    ReplyDelete
  4. It sure helps to have a great artist brain like yours!! That is just so darn cute!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Unbelievable. This bee is divine. I loved your honesty about the pleasure/pain experience. I can totally see it - these blocks are so unique and all of you really push it every month! Congratulations on another incredible block Kerry.

    ReplyDelete
  6. It's a little bit embarrassing how much time I spend poring over the pictures in the Ringo Pie flickr pool. What amazing blocks! And this one is no exception - so creative and unique.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I can see how these blocks would involve a bit of pleasure and pain but they are my favorite bee blocks by far and I always look forward to the new ones!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Well Kerry, I am very impressed by your patience, something I don`t have lots of. I loved the idea of the pencils writing the name - clever you!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Every time I think you can not possibly make something I'll love more you prove me wrong. Beautiful beautiful block Kerry!

    ReplyDelete
  10. This is just brilliant! I totally love this block.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I so agree with Leila! You keep proving me wrong, but this time I am pretty sure this is my favorite among everything you've made! It must have taken a long time to calculate the right angles to make this perfect circle and sewing the circle in the center must have been a pain, but it all resulted in a stunning result! Thank you soooooo much for this, Kerry! I am so lucky!

    Ringo Pie is a great education, because it's a bunch of super creative and inspirational folks like you!

    ReplyDelete
  12. this is so incredible kerry! wow, I'm so amazed (as always). the little points on the pencils are so perfect.

    ReplyDelete
  13. yay, the pencils are such fun. Great idea and a lovely block.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I am blown away by this block Kerry - sooooooo fab!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Wow, oh, wow! Another of your fantastic designs. She is just going to love this.

    ReplyDelete
  16. crazy fantastic work on your part. each pencil tip and each circle angle and each embroider stitch is pure perfection. the visual/spatial/creative part of your brain must be working on overdrive.

    ReplyDelete
  17. wow! i am so impressed with your pencil block. you are very talented!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Thankyou everyone! You bowl me over with such wonderful comments.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Oh my goodness, that's amazing! I'm off to look through the Flickr pool! I've just 'found' your blog and I was wondering if you could tell me where you get your Clover non-slip finger grip from? Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  20. remember fay’s maple cake? well, me, fay and harlan were sitting at the table and i said it was sublime. harlan said, "you're sublime" back to me in a really accusing tone. he thought i had criticized fay’s cake, and that was his retort. we looked sublime up in the dictionary. this is sublime. just how good are you gonna get?

    ReplyDelete
  21. wow, absolutely amazing, they look like real pencils! Just inspired, you are so talented Kerry!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Amazing! Count me in to the Ringo Pie Fan Club! :) I love seeing all the pics! {I just got the Ruth McDowell's "Piecing Workshop" book that you wrote about! I'm looking forward to trying it out!)

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time out to leave your thoughts, I do very much appreciate you stopping by! Blogger is not sending comments through by email at the moment so I'll reply in the comments.