Here's my second Assembly Line Apron Dress, (read about my first here). This version is made with medium weight cotton twill originally bought to make a raincoat and I've lined it with cotton lawn (originally intended for the coat lining) to give a bit of extra weight and a bit more swish when walking. Both these fabrics have been stashed for around 5 years so it felt good to use them in a garment that will see lots of wear.
Some minor changes from the first version,
- I added an extra 1" to the skirt length so I could turn up a deeper hem so the stitch lines are consistent throughout. I also changed the topstitching a little at the bib top.
- The fabric is lighter weight than last time so although I made the straps the same length, they were a little loose and I'm guessing the skirt weight doesn't pull as much as the heavier brown twill, so I ended up unpicking and shortening them by a further 1/2" after these photos were taken. As I enclosed my strap ends this was a bit fiddly, but I'm good at covering my tracks and you'd never know!
- I added interfacing to the facing this time, the fabric needed some extra oomph!
The lining is basically a second dress cut 1" shorter. The outer and inner layers behave as one fabric when the facing is added. It does make it feel extra good and it's always pleasing to see a blast of blue and orange together! The dress fabric is shot with a navy warp and a cornflower blue weft which has a slight shimmer effect, and as it was raincoat fabric, it's slightly water repellent which adds to the utilitarian vibe. Thank you to Charlotte who kindly took my photos at a quilt guild meeting, that's always the tricky bit as I don't like using a timer and taking my own pics.