Tuesday 5 May 2015

My Small World Quilt-Along : Details

For those of you on Instagram, you may have seen the recent buzz about a new quilt-along.  There are a team of us- John, Cindy, Megan, Danielle, Lisa and me hosting a quilt-along for Jen Kingwell's wonderful 'My Small World' quilt.  The quilt-along doesn't kick off properly until May 18th but there are a lot of questions being posted so I thought it best to answer some here.  This is the quilt we will all be making, it measures 33" x 52".  It is the perfect scrappy project.  I will be making mine from my stash including the tiniest of scraps.


You can find it in the Quiltmania Spring Special 2015.  There is no issue number as it is a special seasonal issue.  You can flick through the magazine at Quiltmania.  I cannot find it for sale digitally as a single issue.


Where you find the magazine depends on the county you are in.  In the UK it can be found at:
  • Some branches of WHSmiths
  • Some  quilt shops and newsagents- those that already stock Quiltmania publications
  • Online at The Contented Cat.  They will also send overseas- a possible option for European quilters.
  • Online at Coast and Country Crafts. One copy left at the time of writing!
  • Online at The Running Chicken.  Listed here, new copies arriving 8th May and they will send overseas. 
  • Online at Newstand, a couple of copies left here 
For Europe (and elsewhere)
In USA
Australia/New Zealand
If you know of any stockists not mentioned, please let me know and I'll add them to the list.  The quilt-along doesn't start May 18th to give participants a change to buy the magazine.  The first post will be a general introduction about fabric choices and any planned changes like making a bigger quilt.  The first construction post will not be until 25th May.  As the pattern is in six parts there will be six construction posts with a different host leading each one, plus a final post near the end of September to wrap things up so the pace is going to be gentle.  This is a detailed quilt which uses a lot of templates so not something to rush! It can be made by machine or by hand or a combination of the two.

If you would like a button for your blog or other social media, here a range of sizes to choose from!

Here is a mini 125 size blog button; scroll, copy and paste the html code to use:
My Small World QAL


Here is a larger 200 size blog button, scroll, copy and paste as before.
My Small World QAL

Here is a supersize 300 version!  Scroll and paste like before.
My Small World QAL

If you haven't done a quilt-along before, think of it as a support group so that a group of people all over the world can make the same quilt in their own way and enjoy a bit of camaraderie, guidance and assistance where needed.  You can decide your own fabrics and adaptations.   It is not a beginner easy pattern, it does involve a lot of templates and a lot of the pieces are small but it should be relatively straightforward!  Hopefully, we will inspire you and give you some tips on skills and techniques during the construction.  We will not be giving lots of details and measurements from the pattern as you need to buy the Spring Special to take part but we will be sharing info on things like curved piecing, appliqué and alternatives, English Paper Piecing and much more.  Jen Kingwell has given us her blessing and will be watching progress on Instagram.

I'll be posting regularly here and have designated a blog page to store all the info.  Much of the action will also take place on Instagram.  The hashtag is #mysmallworldqal.  The quilt-long hosts are @verykerryberry @liveacolorfullife @lucyandnorman, @j_q_adams, @vintagemodernquilts @petitselefants and you can tag us if you have anything to ask or show us.

sib blog


40 comments:

  1. Thanks for putting this together. I'm excited to join and took a trip into my local town today and bought a copy from WH Smiths. It's going to be great to use up some scraps.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yaaaaaaay I am so happy this will be a QAL! I bought the pattern as soon as I saw it for the first time on IG so what better way to make sure it gets made (or at least started!!) in 2015 than to do it along with everyone else. Thanks for organising!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I just bought a copy of the magazine from The Running Chicken.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh my goodness, it looks stunning! I have always been too scared to tackle a quilt, perhaps all the inspiration will be the huge push I need xx

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'll be hand sewing what I can while I'm away in the van. Looking forward to seeing all the different ones and also some help! My copy has a typo in that part 1 pictures 8&9 are the same, so it would be helpful if that was pointed out to others.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I just saw that is the same here... hopefully that will be one of the first things dealt with :)

      Delete
  6. I literally had my copy of the magazine opened to the quilt when your email post came in LOL! I am not sure if I will join the QAL as I have failed to keep up with any so far, but I do plan on making it one day for sure!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Sold out of mags today,..more arriving at end of week....listed on website now.
    Kx

    ReplyDelete
  8. As of 1.09pm BST there are two copies of the magazine here, this is where I got mine from. http://www.newsstand.co.uk/146-Quilting-Magazines/13769-Subscribe-to-QUILT-MANIA-SPL-SERIES-Magazine-Subscription.aspx

    ReplyDelete
  9. Quilters-paradise.com has them in California.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Primitive Gatherings in the U.S. has them too! I juts ordered mine and am so excited!!! Thanks so much for hosting:)
    https://www.primitivegatherings.us/shop/product/7742-quiltmania-special-spring-edition-2015.html

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I ordered mine from Primitive Gatherings but be aware that the postage to me, also in the US, was $9 and they don't disclose that when you buy.

      Delete
    2. I also ordered from Primitive Gatherings and confirm they do not disclose how much shipping is when you purchase online. I was shocked that postage was $9. That really is outrageous for a mazagine.

      Delete
    3. Same here! I called them about it after I saw the charge to my card and they said it was because it was a large magazine. Hmmm....

      Delete
  11. Just ordered mine (from a shop in the US) and can't wait to check it out. $30 is a lot for a quilt pattern but at least it can be made with scraps and stash!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Not sure if you know, but quiltmania have put up the correct diagram for section 1 (diagram #9). I found it here:http://www.quiltmania.com/assets/images/accueil/astuces%20bea/61-Small%20world-gb.pdf

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes thank you! We will be publicising this on the intro posts.

      Delete
  13. will see if I can find the magazine.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I'm going to enjoy watching these quilts grow!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Has anyone found this magazine in Ontario Canada? I just checked out happiness is quilting and their shipping charge to Canad is $20. Yikes

    ReplyDelete
  16. Hello Kerry, thank you for hosting the Quilt-Along.
    I won't be doing it (even thouh I love houses and am getting fond of very bright colours) but I just wanted to let you know that I wrote a message linking back to this post on a French quilters forum. Hope that's OK with you.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Just found out about this via Instagram! I have the magazine and am almost finished my Gypsy Wife Blocks - perfect timing!

    ReplyDelete
  18. I have just stumbled across this QAL and am so tempted to join in. Going off to find the magazine!

    ReplyDelete
  19. As of May 20, I had a lot of trouble finding a website in the US with the magazine in stock. (My Barnes and Noble didn't have it, either.) I bet Quiltmania would have a lot of luck selling a digital version...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am also in the states and I can not find it either. I tried some of the overseas places she mentioned and they are out of stock. Sharon

      Delete
  20. I Just ordered the Issue today from Quiltmania. I am in Canada so I expect it will be some time before it arrives. I will be following the QAL on blogs and Instagram. Excited!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Hi, I just found the magazine at the web site of the designer of the cover quilt: http://olivegracestudios.bigcartel.com/ I'll be joining soon!

    ReplyDelete
  22. So excited! Got a copy yesterday. We are lucky to have a local bookstore that has a great selection of quilting magazines.

    ReplyDelete
  23. Found my copy at the forth place I checked. Already pulling fabric and cutting tiny squares! I do want to make it bigger and think the hot air balloons is a great idea.

    ReplyDelete
  24. HI, I am working on Diagram 2. When I look at written instructions for cutting in inches such as the long dark pieces, the written instructions state " cut 2- 1 1/2" x 8 1/2" strips", but when I look at the drawing the measurements are reduced by 1/2 an inch. So things are not adding up, is anyone else having this issue? Or what am I doing wrong?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Anny

      The diagrams show the finished measurements so the seam allowances are not included like when a quilt block is described as 12" square finished and its unfinished size is 12 1/2". The written instructions are for cutting, the diagrams are for construction. I hope that helps.

      Delete
    2. Thank you so much. This helps me :-)

      Delete
  25. Whew, these templets are not my friends! We need to learn how to dance better...

    ReplyDelete
  26. I have a spare copy of the French version of the magazine (I managed to find one last copy of an English one locally after buying the French one online!) If anyone is still in need of a copy it would be 12.20 Euros, 8.70 GBP or $13.50 plus cost of postage, Dee x

    ReplyDelete
  27. Anyone interested in selling the Quiltmania issue...impossible to find online...I wantbto start the pattern....let me know...joysun242@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  28. I just found a copy at the quilt shop in bath, uk. I don't remember if they had any other cooies.

    ReplyDelete
  29. Hi I am just joining now, can I see the quilt along comments, and can I still get a copy of the magazine, from Quilt mania? Wish I had found this quilt last year, but I am HELP

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Ruth, the magazine is no longer available but Jen Kingwell's pattern is now on sale from her Amitie shop in Australia, Fat Quarter Shop USA and elsewhere.

      Delete

Thank you for taking the time out to leave your thoughts, I do very much appreciate you stopping by! Blogger is not sending comments through by email at the moment so I'll reply in the comments.