Friday 22 July 2016

Maritime Knit Top Three Ways + Fumeterre Maxi Skirt

In my wardrobe making this year, I've been trying harder to make more everyday basics like knit tops and colour co-ordinate my clothes so they match up with shoes, bags and the rest of my wardrobe.  It feels like I've finally grown up, it's only taken 45 years. I bought a classic cotton stripe jersey from Fabworks Mills shop and bought the Liesl+ Co Maritime top from - currently on offer with all her other Oliver+S and Straight Stitch Society patterns at 50% off through Saturday 23rd July - bargain!  I've had these made a while but the offer seemed like a good time to share them.


Liesl's instructions are always impeccable and this is no exception.    For those with a bust cup size larger than a B cup Liesl includes details on adding a dart for a full bust alteration and the process is very simple and well explained.   Even the printing is efficient for a digital pattern, not many pages and easy to put together.  I made a size 2 based on my measurements and the only alteration was to taper in very slightly at the waist- the pattern seam line is straight.    I made view A for my first and then extended the sleeves for a cold day, full length sleeve version using my Craftsy Meg McElwee long sleeved T as a reference.  


The skirt is a Deer and Doe Fumeterre.  I've made three of these- all the details can be found here; this is the first time of done version A.    I used a Kobayashi Double gauze in an indigo navy.  I used snaps instead of buttons and I have a tutorial for how I attach these using Prym pliers.


The Maritime top can be made with a sewing machine or with a sewing machine and an overlocker- the sewing machine is needed to create the side vents. My best version of this top was made using some very good quality heavier knit from Eternal Maker.  


It's Kiyohara stripe jersey and you can see it's thickness in my stripe matching photo.  These are quick tops to sew up apart from the stripe matching- that takes time both cutting and sewing.   This fabric washes up brilliantly, the Fabworks one not so well.  I have another Kiyohara stripe ready to cut for another, I think this gold colour is sold out but there is red, grey and various blue shades.


Definitely a wardrobe stalwart.  If you can't face a digital bargain, there's a paper pattern Maritime top at Eternal Maker.


A flash of fancy Liberty facing to finish.  The button opening allows for a little facing decadence!

6 comments:

  1. I'll definitely check the Maritime out for the FBA tips alone - I've never done one despite being a G (yes, really!) cup. Looks like a great staple, that gold is a great colour on you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'll definitely check the Maritime out for the FBA tips alone - I've never done one despite being a G (yes, really!) cup. Looks like a great staple, that gold is a great colour on you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've made a tshirt with teeny,tiny stripes. I may have to look harder for a wider stripe fabric.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love them! I bought the cinema dress but now you're tempting me haha.

    ReplyDelete
  5. They look great! I just love the maritime pattern, the facing finish is such a favourite that I've transplanted it to a few other patterns now!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love those tops and the skirt is wonderful!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time out to leave your thoughts, I do very much appreciate you stopping by! Blogger is not sending comments through by email at the moment so I'll reply in the comments.