Month four of Sarah Fielke's Simple Folk BOM completed and I'm just about managing to keep up as the next month's email and resources arrive. The flower block was a delight to sew. I used a bias tape maker, Clover 1/4" and that worked really well for me. I also used Perfect Circles as I have been doing all the way through. I thought the handles would be a nightmare but I really enjoyed them! I'm now finding where my preferences lie with applique, I love curves- zig zags, chevrons and internal point of a heart shape, not so much
The second block, 'birds' (with a hint of marine creature) were hard going, maybe the hardest so far. Symmetrical blocks are always tricky and I found I was glueing and repositioning many, many times as I kept finding parts which weren't covering other sections sufficiently. The tail was made in three pieces which worked well for fabric pattern placement but it would've been easier as one piece with the centre piece on top. The neck accents were very fiddly, the top is narrow and there's a lot of seam allowance to cram into the point. I'm tenacious when I'm faced with challenges so I'll keep working at it until I get the finish that I'm hoping for. It's all a learning experience and I am learning a lot.
This is how all the blocks are looking so far spread out on white boards. I still have a lot of the spacer blocks to make. Time is short this month, there's a lot on with work and family and I have other demands that are taking up all my spare sewing moments. I'll carve out a day somewhere, I like keeping up, it drives me onwards!