Tuesday 28 February 2012

Take a Letter Miss G

You may have to indulge me a little, a squillion quilt pics in this blog post.  This quilt is 'Take a Letter Miss G', a present for my sister's birthday- she has happily received it now so I can share it with you!
My sister is a 'writer' in the same way that I am a 'sewer'.  It is her creative outlet and she is good, award winning even!  We are a creative family- my brother is a digital artist working in below the line advertising- it hasn't lead to riches but not bad for three state school kids.  
My sister's breakthrough poem was 'Imperial 58', inspired by our dad's vintage typewriter.  
The fabrics all relate to her- candy colours, lots of pink, text, typewriters, recipes, pretty things.
The design was a simple tile quilt from Jane Brockett's The Gentle Art of Quilt Making.  I made it as a quilt as you go project- that but did seem to take forever with an unforgivable amount of hand stitching- but worth it.  
The backing is a mix of Amy Butler's Organic soul blossom prints, very soft and silky plus random greens that fitted in.
Aurifil 50/2 for piecing, quilting and hand sewing the binding.  Hot pink is not a good colour for machine binding I found out!
And a beautiful day on Sunday made for a great photo outing.  Lula is crouched behind the quilt below, just making sure it doesn't fall into the stream.

One special square for the top right, stamped with Versacraft ink.
sib blog

26 comments:

  1. this is a lovely quilt and a lovely present xx I am sure she loves it and will cherish it xx ... ps. glad it did NOT fall into the stream ...good work there Lula xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's a lovely gift Kerry, worth all those millions of handstitches and your achy shoulders. She must be delighted!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh this is such a fabulous quilt. Love that it's made with fabric form so many different designers.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I wish I was right there with you as you stitched this gorgeous quilt, growing a love of patchworking :0)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Lovely quilt Kerry! Of all things patchwork simple squares are still my favourite. Your fabric choices are fantastic as always!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Its really lovely gift.
    I'm sure your sister will absolutely love it.
    Julie xxxxxxx

    ReplyDelete
  7. oh my, could you imagine if it had fallen into the water! yikes! i can imagine you jumping in to save it. and kerry, it is oh so sweet! i love the typewriters in it for the writer! ;) i love the simple piecing and the beautiful quilting. perfection!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love everything in this beautiful quilt! What a lovely present! Perfect fabrics, so great design and those stamped words makes it special! I don't like so much yellow, but now I feel that I want some yellow with pink!
    x Teje

    ReplyDelete
  9. Really lovely! What a happy sister you must have :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Beautiful quilt - what a lucky sister she is!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Whaaaa. I want a lovely sister to make a quilt for....or to make one for me. It is lovely.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Gorgeous quilt - I could look at it all night!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Oh it's fab, love all the thought behind the fabrics, sure she loved it!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I have just written somewhere that I would be happy sewing charm squares together all day, and here's the justification - this is perfect - I bet she loves it x

    ReplyDelete
  15. I love everything about this quilt and especially the hand stamped note to your sister.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I just adore this quilt!! Lucky sister!!

    ReplyDelete
  17. I'm totally in love with this quilt..and love reading the thought process behind it. :) I hope it's alright that I pinned it on my pinterest.
    BTW, I love the letter stamps on the back too..how cute!

    ReplyDelete
  18. this is beautiful!! i love how you mix colors and fabrics

    ReplyDelete
  19. Gorgeous quilt and such a lovely story - thank you for the peek into your private world.

    ReplyDelete
  20. your story about the quilt made me feel all warm and fuzzy inside, Kerry! It turned out absolutely lovely! Great photos too, especially the ones with it hanging precariously above the stream!

    ReplyDelete
  21. oh nice! i am loving the text print that you added as the border. it's perfect for this quilt!

    ReplyDelete
  22. I looooove this, Kerry! Love that you designed the quilt with Miss G's career in mind! Lovely colors and prints! Just so darling!

    ReplyDelete
  23. Beautiful, Kerry! My best friend is a journalist. I have been wanting to make her a themed quilt with the type writers so this is very inspiring! So cheery too :)

    ReplyDelete
  24. What a gorgeous quilt, Kerry! I love all the little personal things you've included, that's perfect from Sis - to Sis gift!

    Happy March!

    Yours,
    Mia

    ReplyDelete
  25. Such a lovely gift for a gifted sister. Love the choice of fabric, those typewriters are so precious!
    ; )

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time out to leave your thoughts, I do very much appreciate you stopping by! Blogger is not sending comments through by email at the moment so I'll reply in the comments.