Tuesday 4 March 2014

March at Seamstar: Competition and Craft Box

For my monthly visit to Seamstar, I am reviewing their latest Craft Club box which has Mother's day firmly in mind and a Spring competition with a prize of £50 of vouchers to spend at Seamstar.


The March box includes materials to make a floral corsage, plus a bonus of a trim pack of felt, ribbon buttons for the competition.  There are only a dozen or so boxes available for new members to the Seamstar craft club.  Everything arrives in a letter box sized package complete with instructions and a generous tube of glue plus nozzles.


The corsage materials are mainly at the bottom of the picture- there was also white pom pom trim and a sparkly button holding under the ribbon.  The ribbons and other buttons plus the light coloured felts are the trim pack.  All the details are explained on the colour instruction card with photographs to help.

 The corsage is an easy make, the felt is great quality-I used it for Christmas decorations and loved sewing it.  I used Fiskars Soft Touch Micro Scissors to cut through the layers of felt: easy peasy as they are super sharp and precise.


The glue is strong and works well with the variety of materials involved.   I found it easiest to squirt some on to card and use cocktail sticks to apply it but there are nozzles in the pack too if you prefer to use those.  I found the felt easy to roll and glue to make the flowers.  The pom poms were harder but as you need to leave the glue for a few minutes to get tacky, this helps to control the messiest part of the process.


There is minimal sewing involved.  Just outlining the leaves and sticking a double layer for stems, plus some hand stitches for the brooch pin.  I didn't need the second rose in my corsage, I thought I already had enough going on.



For the competition, use the trim pack contents and your imagination to come up with a Spring make- Courtney has a Pinterest board with ideas on here to help get you started.  You can add other elements as long as the main materials are the trim pack.  The competition is open until 26th May so if you miss the March Craft Club you can still buy the trim pack.

sib blog

7 comments:

  1. I love the look of these felt flowers, but these things are why I don't sign up for craft club kits - being allergic to wool, I notice this doesn't state anywhere what the fibre content is. I don't normally like handling my mail with rubber gloves ;o)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Katy, Afraid all of our felt has a wool content as we feel that adds to the quality of the felt. Because of that our boxes at present wouldn't be suitable for you. However if we did receive a lot of feedback from people with allergies to wool we could then try to source alternatives. x

      Delete
  2. Good point Katy, I have copied your email and passed it on to Courtney at Seamstar

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Kerry for a really in-depth review of our March Craft CLub :)

      Delete
  3. Gorgeous corsage Kerry. I love it. I live in the states, so I won't be partaking of the challenge, but it's very nicely done.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great review Kerry, I love the corsage. Might be tempted to have a go at the competition now :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. What an interesting sounding competition! Your corsage looks beautiful!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time out to leave your thoughts, I do very much appreciate you stopping by! Blogger is not sending comments through by email at the moment so I'll reply in the comments.