5 Steps to Fabric Covered Buttons
- A circle template is provided on the back of the packet.
- Draw round and cut out, centring or fussy cutting pattern/motif if desired.
- Using polyester thread for strength, stitch line of running stitches 1/8" from the edge, pull and drawn in around button securing the thread in the fabric folds with stitches and knot.
- Place the plastic washer dimpled side down on to button covering all raw edges.
- Place button shank on top of polyester thread spool and press- this secures the washer.
The fabric I used was Flumes from Sarah Watson's Luxe in Bloom range for Art Gallery fabrics, you might find some at M is for Make. Courtney at Seamstar sells larger plastic self cover buttons. I used 15mm-5/8" from ebay.
The sensor system is very sensitive and if slightly jogged during a series of buttonholes- e.g on a shirt- random small and mishaped versions appear (see above)- very frustrating when sewing on fine fabric like lawn which doesn't take to kindly to constant unpicking. I have a potential solution, involving a Featherweight attachment, just awaiting delivery...