Friday 23 August 2013

September Meet-Up

There are still over two weeks of Summer holidays left so I am making the most of them but I also have my eye on September.  My favourite month, the weather is usually good, it is my birthday month and this year it is the release month for mine and Lynne's book which makes it extra special:
.    
We don't know exactly which date but we will have copies to sell on our blogs as soon as they arrive with us and if they come in time I'll be bringing a selection to The Sewing Directory Meet up on Saturday 14th September. All the essential details are here.  I am busy prepping applique ideas- hand and machine techniques and I will bring along a selection of books for extra ideas.
It is a longer meet up as time really did fly so we start at 11am finishing at 4.30.  There will be an informal lunch break at 1pm so bring a packed lunch or pop up to Waitrose- I am very partial to their Sushi rolls!  Once we have tidied up at the end people are welcome to eat or just chat in a pub over the road if they don't need to rush.
For those who haven't been before, we meet in a well appointed hall with kitchenette next to a large car park and 5 mins from Waitrose and Exeter Sewing Machine shop.  I am leading an appliqué activity, all materials provided, just bring the basics (needle, pins, threads, scissors and erasable markers e.g Frixion pen would all be helpful and a real bonus would be a silver gel pen) or if you would rather bring your own work in progress to sew that would be welcome too. The emphasis is on hand sewing but this time there will be a couple of machines and irons so that we have an option to use machine raw edge appliqué as well as hand turned techniques.  We will be sewing bags for  Macmillan Cancer support and I will design a range of suitable motifs and talk you through a range of appliqué methods.
 Abakahan have generously supplied fabric/bondaweb/trim and a lot more- its all waiting in my loft for me to cut up ready for you and  Will and Beth from Abakahan will be there too.  I might have to tell them my dream- that they open a branch in Exeter!  There is a raffle with a ton of prizes and The Sewing Boutique will have a stall of goodies if you want to buy anything.  It was a wonderful warm event last time, it really lifted my heart so I am hugely looking forward to it and planning to make a new dress which is pretty much how I celebrate everything!  Fi, her mum, Jenna from sew happygeek will all be there for a warm welcome.  And a ticket, only costs £20 including tea and biccies!
sib blog

6 comments:

  1. I have your book on pre-order and am excitedly waiting for the day it shows up!!!
    Have a great time at your meet up!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds like such a lovely time! My nephews Christmas gift (a Geekly chic/ hipster type quilt) is awaiting appliqué of his name on the back panel before it can be basted and quilted. I'm so afraid of messing it up! If I weren't all the way over seas in Louisville, Kentucky USA, I would most definitely attend!

    ReplyDelete
  3. How exciting to have a book published ~ I just put it on my wish list on Amazon! Have a great time at the meet up ~ we just had one here in Portland, OR with a few other guilds in the Pacific Northwest and had a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  4. That sounds like a great meet up. I could use some tips on appliqué...
    Looking forward to your new dress!
    Greetings from Austria!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Just booked my ticket. Perfect timing as I was just thinking that I could do with some appliqué practice.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time out to leave your thoughts, I do very much appreciate you stopping by! Blogger is not sending comments through by email at the moment so I'll reply in the comments.