Wednesday 24 July 2013

Fat Quarterly Retreat: The best bit is the people

It already feels like too long ago, but last weekend was Fat Quarterly Retreat 2013, the second retreat. and it was a blast.  There is a lot to share so, grab a cup of tea and take a seat...this is post one, a separate post about classes follows.  I arrived in London very early so my brother met me at Paddington and we went for a coffee at the V and A.  Sunny and  hot, a rare treat for the UK mid July.
Having already met a lot of people for the first time and worked out locations last year, this year was so much more familiar and relaxed all round.  There was a real mix of first timers and last year attendees and still the treat of meeting people I have known for years now online in the flesh.
#qfqrlondon
L to R, entrance into the retreat: Justine, me, Trudi, Lu, Mandy and Krista- and Brioni's quilt.
#qfqrlondon
L to R, Tacha, Brioni, John, Laura Jane.  John had just arrived only hours before from USA.
#qfqrlondon
Early evening and warm weather took most people onto the roof terrace and into drinks, supermarket snacks and informal show and tell. 
Kerry and Krista talking to Mr Aurifil
Me, Alex (Mr Aurifil) and Krista.
Lots of oohs and ahhs at the Sibling's together quilts, bee quilts and more.  I took my Strawberry Fields Quilt as there were 4 contributors there, Lynne, Krista, Brioni and Leila.  It was still making me tear up even now.
Kerry showing off this fab quilt
I retired to my hotel around 8.30- tired all ready, no stamina really! 
Next day, all day classes, an informal trip to Shaukat fabrics in the afternoon- 10 mins walk from Baden Powell House.  So much Liberty that my eyes hurt from all the stimilation but still managed to buy some.  The evening was market- Sponsors and attendees and it was amazing, so much good stuff in one place.
#qfqrlondon
Claire from Patch Fabrics and Leanne, Little House Martin fabrics
#qfqrlondon
A big table of Oakshott, lovely to meet Michael in person.
#qfqrlondon
Eternal Maker created a beautiful display on their stand and I met Sarah and Rachael at last and heard Sarah's continuing and amazing plans for fabrics at the shop, believe me there are amazing things to come.
#qfqrlondon
Fabrics Galore had an amazing selection- that was the first stall I went too, I knew the navy Hello Kitty Liberty would sell out! Between Market and the raffle I sat and caught up with Leila in a quiet corner.  The sponsors- Liberty, Korbond, Abakhans, Pat at Art Gallery fabrics, Oakshott, Fabrics Galore, Eternal Maker, Moda, Amitie, Makeower, Aurifil, Village Haberdashery and many more give a huge amount of goodies so there are lots of winners.
The Raffle - Lynne had a bag full of seriously good Shizz
Lynne and the big bag of swag.
Sunday, I had finished teaching so I did Mandy's needle turn class which was a treat and a lovely calm way to finish the weekend.  Meeting Krista was special, she came over from Canada so I can't expect to see her on an annual basis but having known each other online for so long she was just as I expected and very easy company.
And all too soon (although everyone is shattered at this point) it is time to say goodbye.
I wasn't as emotional as last year as I know I will be back again but it is the end of an incredible weekend of sewing and talking.  It is a funny mix of exciting and overwhelming and at times I sit in a quieter space but the buzz is like nothing else and the talent and creativity all in the one event is more than a little mind blowing.
And the booty- a lovely goody bag, packed full of treats from the sponsors.
 and my spends, Hello Kitty Liberty, Scissors ( a very similar version of the Yuwa print on a heavy cotton- both from Fabrics Galore, Liberty lawn ribbons and pink capel print from Shaukat, Simple Things floral from the lovely Jessie of Messe Jesse.  Roses and a  gorgeous vintage floral print- gifts from Mandalin Mandy, Purple Thang from Krista and crochet lace made by the very talented Sonia
Back with more pics from the classes soon xxx  Thankyou to Lynne and Jan for use of some of their pics in this post xx
sib blog

20 comments:

  1. I am worn out just looking at it all! How did you survive. The goody bag looks brilliant. Jo x

    ReplyDelete
  2. It was so lovely to meet you after all this time. I heard you were exactly like me in Shaukat! Once I've cracked my pj pattern sizing I'm treating myself to some Liberty online so I can make myself some Liberty PJ shorts!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Kerry! You must have so wonderful weekend! I can't imagine to meet blog friends like that! Thank you for photos - hope to see more1 x Teje

    ReplyDelete
  4. It looks like so much fun! I am sad that I didn't get to see your quilt in person! I would have liked that. Relax now for a bit!

    ReplyDelete
  5. so glad you had a good time x

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Kerry, I loved your fantsy fabric shop. It really took me out of my comfort zone and taught me things about colour. Great to meet you. Sue

    ReplyDelete
  7. So lovely reliving it through everyone's posts. Loving the scissors print, wish I'd spotted that!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Ooooohhhh, I was admiring the Scissors print - can't wait to see what you do with it! And I fear you've been too generous about my talent! Looking forward to hearing about your classes, especially the fantasy fabric shop x

    ReplyDelete
  9. Glad you had a wonderful time - I did too but just not enough hours in the day! I spotted your amazing Melody Miller dress - so well fitting - but spent so long chatting that I never got around to saying hello. Still wish I had got your PJ pant class! Everyone I spoke to who did your class loved it x

    ReplyDelete
  10. Looks like a wonderful time was had by all! Fantasizing about joining you one of these years, sigh.... xxx

    ReplyDelete
  11. Looks like such an amazing weekend. Love that Hello Kitty Liberty - I have a friend who is obsessed with Hello Kitty and has asked me to make something for her - so I must track some down!! Enjoy all your new goodies and hope you have a more restful week!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I'll definitely be there next year! It looks soooo amazing!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  13. thanks so much for your fantastic PJ pants class Kerry, you are a great teacher and a lovely warm person. It was great to meet you again and I loved the whole weekend so much!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hi Kerry, it was lovely to meet you, and I loved the Fabric Fantasy class, and as you know I was really chuffed with my bundle! (There's hardly any fabric shops in Jersey so it was a real treat having all that fabric in front of me!) I hope to see you again, and I shall look forward to reading your blog and learning more about you in the coming months :-) Sarah x

    ReplyDelete
  15. Ah, it really was such a fabulous weekend-thank you for your amazing classes too

    ReplyDelete
  16. What fun! There's nothing more lovely than time spent with friends.

    ReplyDelete
  17. I have hair envy of you. Every single time...

    ReplyDelete
  18. So glad I could lead you astray to Shaukat ;o)

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time out to leave your thoughts, I do very much appreciate you stopping by! Blogger is not sending comments through by email at the moment so I'll reply in the comments.