Self photography is a tricky business so what follows is mainly a selection of dodgy selfie iphone shots with some of my weeks 2/3 Me Made May 13 outfits. I made this Airelle top a few weeks back with some Grayson Perry Liberty lawn which was an ebay bargain. It needs a proper photo as it is a lovely slightly fitted blouse and has really given me a new pattern company to love- Deer and Doe.
I made a size 38 (UK 10) and altered the bust. Although I am narrow in the chest I hate any sort of restriction in the sleeves or shoulders so I find this size and taking in the sides and the chest works best and is my standard adjustment for lots of tops. There are waist and back darts for gentle shaping and the shoulder line is created by front and back yoke. The sleeves are a lovely fit, especially around the armscye/armhole. I did manage randomly place two of the central flower motifs rather creatively placed like pasties on my front!
It's a little gappy around the V so on the next one I will adjust it on the front at the shoulder by the neck so this lies flat. I reduced a little fullness on the pattern piece by taping down with washi tape. I generally use Swedish tracing paper for pattern pieces. Tracing is not my favourite part of dress making and this makes life easier. It is soft and strong, does't crinkle and tea like paper and take up loads of room flapping around. Its popular stuff and hard to get in the UK, Annie has had some in and it has already sold but more is coming.
I made this Wiksten tank a couple of months back using Field Study Rayon bought here. The fabric practically falls on the body, it clings and flows in a very flattering way. It is also tricky to cut- scissors rather than my usual rotary cutter preference. It needs gentle handling and sharp pins as it will snag easily.
As a result, I went with an easy pattern shape. No darts so good for a small bust, although I found that as rayon drapes so well, the tank came up looking a little big and I could have gone down a size- I can't wear it without something underneath as it looks too loose but the print is so pretty and the flow of the fabric is such a pleasure to wear, I am happy to layer it.
Sometimes I can persuade my daughter to take pics. This is my latest Lonsdale skirt made again with Anna Maria Horner Field Study but this time linen/cotton from here.
This is incredible fabric to work with, quite heavy but with lovely drape and flow. It holds a crease from the iron but doesn't crease when you are sitting or holding it and the pattern works in both directions so the 60" wide fabric is perfect for an A-line maxi like this. Size 6 with the waist sitting low, no pattern alterations. Mmmm, swishy...
I made these PJ pants in preparation for my Fat Quarterly retreat class. I have 3 pairs, all a little different and a 4th pair planned to show the construction techniques involved. There area few alternations to the original Simplicity pattern which are part of the class- adding leg hem cuffs, adding a wider part elastic/ part draw waist tie. These were made entirely from thrifted fabric, soft twill weave florals.
And finally a dress from last year, Simplicity Cynthia Rowley 1801. I like this dress, good pockets, the right length, gathers front and back and not at the sides on the skirt all works well but I do lack the fun bags at the front and if I fitted this really well it would not be flattering. I wore this on a little shopping trip with my sis. We tried on stacks of clothes in a local dress agency and gave each other honest opinion- yay or nay on how we looked. I came out from the changing room in this dress and she shook her head- no not that one. I had to point out this is what I came in. Its alright, she's my sis, I forgive her and she has a point!