Friday 31 August 2012

Summer

Summer highlights...
  Having pedicures for the first time
Spending time with Lula
Time to sew although not always finish
Getting jobs in the house sorted
Enjoying English paper piecing
I have had to have a home summer.  For me, although a little restricting, it could be a lot worse.  I love being at home.  I have a never ending list of things I want to do and Damian and Lula are easy company.  We can all be working away on separate interests and then come together for a drink and snack, or a game, we sit and chat and the animals come and join us.  I was sad we failed to get away twice, once because of extreme weather and the second time because I couldn't travel.  Labyrinthitis is a big PITA but has had some funny moments. Just one bottle of beer is enough to make me feel very  drunk and whoozy but with no hangover and within an hour or so I am back to normal.    Busy shopping areas are a trigger.  I generally carry on regardless until I get on an escalator- not a good place for vertigo.  My coping strategy is to focus as if I have tunnel vision so I have been up and down escalators staring at Damian's backside- as if my eyes are lasers and I am boring a hole.  I have saved a lot of money on petrol and spent a lot of money on a sewing machine.  I have changed my work patterns for the new school year-driving at busy times isn't possible at the moment, so I will have a little less money but but have gained a little more time.  I have rested and taken lived life at a more gentle pace and there have been improvements.  It will pass eventually and I just have to be patient.  But in the meantime, home is a great place to be and I am extremely grateful for that.  I love September.  The lower sun, my birthday month and the change in colours are all welcome.
sib blog

19 comments:

  1. What a lovely post. I hope you recover very soon as vertigo sounds awful. Your summer sounds wonderful though and I love the look of the projects you've been working on.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I hope you return to full health really soon! I love the look of your EPP project! Show us some more please!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love the part about the beer - no hangover is a wonderful thing.

    ReplyDelete
  4. So great you see the good side...plus if you are like me I enjoy checking out my husbands back side :D

    ReplyDelete
  5. awww, such a nice reflective post... get well soon...

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great Post! well done for taking it in your stride and seeing the bright side :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a lovely post - I know you've managed to put a nice spin on your labyrinthitis and altered summer plans but it can't be an easy condition to cope with (I hope it goes soon!)...good thing you've got your new machine to distract you ;o)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I hope you are fully recovered soon. I've suffered on and off for years with dizziness type related problems. The worse was when I first flew - they don't know if I had a bug and air pressure sickness or just the latter. When I got home I couldn't walk down the street without looking like I was drunk. I also struggle to travel in the back of cars as this brings on vertigo too. I also am very restrained drinking alcohol for the same reason. Used to wonder why I'd feel drunk after one drink within an hour of consumption and then like you say no hang over! It looks like you had a lovely summer despite the health issues and a new machine is the best treat - apart from maybe new fabric :-)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Lovely post Kerry. Your dresden quilt is spectacular, really looking forward to seeing that one finished! Hope you keep feeling better x

    ReplyDelete
  10. Here's to the fall! I have never had a pedicure either...well, now you have, I still haven't ;)

    ReplyDelete
  11. I wish it was starting to feel like fall around here. Pedicures are wonderful. I hope you will feel completely better soon.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I've been thinking of you and wondering how you've been feeling - so it's nice to have the update. Hopefully, you will experience some relief from all the vertigo and dizziness. Meanwhile, it's nice that you enjoy your home and family and have some truly stunning projects to keep you happy. xoxox

    ReplyDelete
  13. The 'taking it easy' will do you good. Bath will still be there next year and if your home and family are blissful, enjoy - I am jealous of that!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Labyrinthitis sucks bigtime. When I got it about a year ago I couldn't figure out why I couldn't see straight. Hopefully it will quit soon, don't think mine lasted as long as yours has though. Love the tattoo on your foot - great place to have one. Not for me I'm too damn old!!! I really hope you enjoyed your pedicure - i love them to pieces but I need a different place to go as I don't like their colors. Love everything you've been working on too. You are a marvel and I so wish you lived nearer. Wish you better.
    Lots of Love
    Patti xxx

    ReplyDelete
  15. It was wonderful to read your post and read that you are persevering. A serious illness is always a big challenge because your habits are changed and assumptions about your life are challenged at a very deep level. You are very courageous and your many talents are deeply appreciated by many quilters and crafters. We ,your blog readers, are with you every step of the way.

    ReplyDelete
  16. It was so lovely to read your post . It was written with a positive outlook and your grattitude for your family and home was beautiful . It's certainly is annoying being ill . Keep you chin up ! (my mother' s saying ) love your photos and your EPP is amazing . Hope all goes well for you in the new school term .

    ReplyDelete
  17. Well other than the PITA labyrinthitis, it sounds like a good summer. Hope you're feeling 100% again soon!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Lovely post, hope it the L improves soon. I love being at home too and September is one of my favourite months too. Here's to a great autumn!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Hello Kerry,

    I am sending you some sunny, bright and autumn-y greetings from Finland! It was lovely to read how you've enjoyed your different yet wonderful family-summer. Sometimes it's important to take it slow - and give yourself time to heal. I wish you wonderful autumn and get well soon, dear friend!

    Yours,
    Mia

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time out to leave your thoughts, I do very much appreciate you stopping by! Blogger is not sending comments through by email at the moment so I'll reply in the comments.