Tuesday 21 August 2012

Ruby Red Strawberries

I received a lovely bundle of Rubies from Oakshott fabrics (with a little help from Lynne). 
 They are shot cottons where the warp and the weft threads are two different colours and in the case of the Rubies, these have the same ruby red warp- you can see them on the left here:
and a range of colours in the weft, from yellow to blue- seen on the right.   Oakshott have a fabulous 
photo of this,  The colours seem more exaggerated here on the bolts but it gives you an idea!
The effect is a collection with depth that shimmers and put me in mind of ripening strawberries.
This is the first summer that I have persuaded Lula to eat strawberries.  It has taken twelve years for her to like them, but now she loves them and we have had a lot, although I don't think there can ever be enough.

You get the idea!  I made six, 6" blocks in all, enough make a curtain ( with a little sashing to space them out) for my skinny kitchen window.

The linen was from an old Habitat curtain picked up at the carboot sale, the white background is Kona snow.  I used various greens but the cute little smiling plates you can see in the strawberry below is a Michael Miller print, 'Any Cup Will Do' from Eternal Maker.  I also used the green brush print from Summersville, a little Suzuko text print, a Lecien dot, a timeless treasures road print and some vintage pin dots,

The strawberry is available as a pattern at Sew-Ichigo and at our Craftsy store and it is an easy one I promise!  If you have done a little paper piecing before you should have no problems with this Penny and I designed our two latest patterns with beginners in mind!  
I have plenty left of Ruby Reds left and whilst going through my fabric drawers I found the perfect match, ruby reds and Farmdale by Alexander Henry.  I plan a quick table runner with these- will report back and share how soon!  Thankyou to Michael and the other folks at Oakshotts, they really are silky beauties!
sib blog

22 comments:

  1. Love your little curtain Kerry! Its the cutest thing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. These fabrics are simply delicious (and so's the curtain)

    ReplyDelete
  3. aren't those the cutest curtains! love the smiling plate leaves :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. You are amazingly creative - these are absolutely fabulous...

    ReplyDelete
  5. Kerry, these cottons are beautiful-I'm glad for the explanation; didn't realize what constituted a "shot cotton" before...

    And LOVE your little valence! Beautiful strawberries! I'm sure that the table runner with the Farmdales will look great!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Kerry, beautiful curtain valence!! So cute... I love the strawberries...

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a cute curtain Kerry! Love strawberries but I hardly ever get to eat them as my little greedy monster eats them all before I get the chance ;)

    ReplyDelete
  8. very very cute curtain kerry! i bought the latte pattern last night! love it!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Love the curtains! Very cool! Makes me want to start paper piecing...

    ReplyDelete
  10. Cute curtain! It reminds me of Nicholas Mosse pottery- must be the colours!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I made up the strawberry last night into a pot holder/mini quilt/mug rug (read multi-purpose thingy!), no-where near as cute as your curtain though!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Shot Cottons are fabulous and I love your reds!

    ReplyDelete
  13. These ruby reds are just SOOO fabulous. Your curtain is very sweet.

    ReplyDelete
  14. The cuteness of this curtain kills me. Well done Kerry!

    ReplyDelete
  15. The cuteness of this curtain kills me. Well done Kerry!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Gorgeous pattern - that is so sweet!! I have a strawberry fiend in my house too - Lulu (her nickname) has recently been introduced to strawberries and now can't get enough of them!

    Love those fabrics - just gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
  17. I love that fabric and what a cute pattern!

    ReplyDelete
  18. What a lovely curtain, great idea. I've not tried any Oakshott fabrics, but they're definitely on the list

    ReplyDelete
  19. Your little curtain is so adorable! Gorgeous. And you have given me hope that I will one day convince my kids to eat strawberries!

    ReplyDelete
  20. This curtain is phenomenal! I am going to have to get this pattern...my dad always called me Strawberry Shortcake as a little one (still does sometimes). Just perfect, Kerry. Also need to get my hands on some of that Oakshott!

    ReplyDelete
  21. thank you for taking such great pictures of the oakshott cottons. of course, now i want some. your strawberry curtain is adorable. and i just picked up some of that green fabric with the dancing plates with faces :) i ran across it in an odd little shop and had to take some home to live with me.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Wish I had a window for a little curtain like that. Am yet to play with any oakshott but like the idea of it paired with those Farmdale prints.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time out to leave your thoughts, I do very much appreciate you stopping by! Blogger is not sending comments through by email at the moment so I'll reply in the comments.