Wednesday 9 May 2012

Storage

I can never have enough storage, it gives me the deluded impression that I will not lose anything and that the surfaces will stay clear and available to work on!  Nova recently designed a new storage solutions pattern, Nesting Bowls and I have been itching to try it.  Sometimes it is a relief to buy a pattern and hand the hard work over to someone else, and Nova has managed that beautifully, from the 'Formula Sheet' where you can quickly work out your cutting requirements for any size of bowl or pocket.
to the detailed instructions, variations and measurements for producing any style of bowl/pocket including a nesting set.  I had some old money bags that have been waiting for a use.  The colours aren't dye fast so I needed a simple project that wouldn't need washing, and a hanging pocket for my rotary cutters seemed perfect.
I made this in about 30 minutes, just before we were due to go out and meet friends over the May bank holiday.  That time included cutting something else out too!  I used the wonderous Vilene 640 fusible fleece bough from Julia at Gone to Earth and I also tried out the large eyelets which she sells.  A pack isn't cheap but I think they are worth it.  They are easy to add with a hefty bang of the hammer.  You can buy Nova's pattern here.  I think I will be making more from this, it is a very adaptable pattern.   By the way I edited these pics using the iPhoto iPad/iPhone app- well worth the money although I needed this tutorial to understand how it works, but now I do, I love it!
sib blog

13 comments:

  1. Love the quirky look of your bag - hope you are not a retired bank robber!

    ReplyDelete
  2. ha ha ha Sheila! That's what I thought too: what was this fabric used for?
    A money sack from a bank!
    Really nice and handy and quick to make, and we like quick projects.
    Though I imagine it can be scary yanking a eyelet in the perfect project; that's only the first time, I hope.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a great use for an old coin bag, love to see stuff like this repurposed. It reminded me that the Great Train Robbers hide out was discovered near to here when a farm worker (who I know) spotted the mail bags being used as impromptu curtains at the windows.

    Have often wanted to buy big eyelets for bag making but have wondered how easy they are to set and wouldn't want to ruin a nearly constructed bag finding out 'not very easily!'

    ReplyDelete
  4. How cool is that? And fast too, wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love the money bag idea. Thanks for the iphoto tip. I didn't even know they had that app.

    ReplyDelete
  6. The money bag idea is great. I have this pattern and will definitely use it. And will check out the app.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Fab use of the pattern with that fabric! I have the pattern, but haven't found the perfect need for it yet...

    ReplyDelete
  8. love love love! & seriously loving the big grommet :) xxx

    ReplyDelete
  9. Great make - hope you were wearing a stocking over your head and stripey top while doing so! Now you need one which says swag! And possibly one with arrows all over it!

    ReplyDelete
  10. So lovely!! Love your fabric! What will you storing in?? :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Great idea! I love Nova's pattern, too, but it took me so much longer! I am very slow at cutting and ironing the vilene on.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Oooh, I like it! The grommet works perfectly with the printed words on the fabric. ;p

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time out to leave your thoughts, I do very much appreciate you stopping by! Blogger is not sending comments through by email at the moment so I'll reply in the comments.