Saturday 28 April 2012

Here comes Summersville

I was lucky enough to get a little stack of Summersville prints in the post from Lu Summers.  I knew before they even arrived what I was going to do with them.
Summersville spools preparation
I have been doing a lot of spools blocks recently.  At the Fat Quarterly Retreat I will be teaching a couple of classes focused on making blocks like these and conquering the Y seam.  A selection of spools patterns (and more) will be going in the accompanying FQ retreat special issue too so spools have been on the brain, and my brain as I have mentioned before is an obsessive place.  I think they might even make their way into a Ringo Pie spool block for Amber.
Summerville spools for a pillow-in-progress
I had seen a pic of Tamkio's on Instagram- http://instagr.am/p/JXabsvvn1o? and it really inspired me.    It was one of those ideas where I had to hold myself back and let less be more.  I used cross hatch quilting to echo the cross hatch fabric.  So easy to do, the walking foot practically does this itself, although it does take ages!
Cross hatch quilting Summerville style
I used Aurifil 50wt colour 2310 thread and Vilene 640 fusible fleece, which is the best stuff for making cushions, I have just ordered more from Julia at Gone to Earth.    My top tip for using this interfacing is to make sure the fabric you are going to attach it too is very well pressed.  I go over all my seams with a damp cloth and a hot iron just to flatten out the lumpy bits before using the damp cloth again to press the fleece to the reverse.   The cream solid is Kona Snow, from Mandy at Simply Solids.
Lucie's designs take me back to childhood doodles and felt tips.  The splodgy print reminds me of experiments with blotting paper and paint brushes and the  line drawings are so appealing.  I was an arty child and spent a huge amount of time scribbling and designing.  Lucie has captured that feeling in these fabrics and the simple fresh colour palette.  The brick colour is my favourite.  
I like to treat the back to a little pattern so these little spools/butterflies/bow ties take the design to the inspiration source.
 I love binding on a cushion, it provides a great frame and the solids finish it off nicely.
And here it is in its new home.  Damian often sits here as do our cats and dog so it is going to get a lotta love.  Here it sits in the brief period before it gets covered in cat hair etc.  Such is our house!
And when you get some Summersville of your own,  Lu has created a Flickr group so you can share and inspire.  Instagram is a fun app if you haven't tried it, free and such a quick and easy way to share pics with a nice little community of new and familiar faces, I am on there as verykerryberry.  Now I am going to start my Bloom quilt!  
sib blog

22 comments:

  1. Ooh, love the fussy cut spool centres! I'm hoping to get some of this line on Monday (payday ;o) )

    ReplyDelete
  2. Any tips on the Y seams? I used them on the border of a quilt one time..

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. All my tips are in the next FQ magazine released for the retreat, I go though Y seams step by step!

      Delete
  3. Love what you've done with Summersville, so fresh and lovely! Wasn't sure I was going to get any and now I've got to!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have been waiting and waiting for this to come out. Think I'll get a FQ bundle of it..(wishful thinking) Love what you have done with the spools. Never have thought of doing this with it. Clever!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great cushion - your quilting really compliments the fabrics! I love spools too!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Such a fun cushion! I am patiently waiting for my Summersville to arrive. Love the binding on your pillow-I must remember to try that next time.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh my, that cushion is just adorable...and I especially love the way you stitched the cross hatching!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Gorgeous, love this line so much, yours is my fav make from it so far! Can't wait for mine to arrive

    ReplyDelete
  9. So sweet! I love the little peeps of Summersville. I am SO excited about mine arriving, can't wait to cut into it.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Great design for this fab fabric! I love piping on cushions too! Do you have any tips on how to finish the ends off without bulk? Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oohh lovely - I played with some of my Summersville today - if we get any daylight tomorrow, I will take some photos!

    ReplyDelete
  12. lucky you, Kerry! I've been eyeing Lu's line and can't wait to get my hands on some. I love the pillow you've made with it, it's so simple, fun, and eyecatching!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Oh that is gorgeous Kerry! Well done!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I forgot my password opps,
    love the pillow and love the fabric.
    Thanks

    ReplyDelete
  15. ohhhh I just love what you do with fabric and colour...
    if you love red white and blue..maybe just maybe you can hop into our blog hop for july...iti s an unfinished 10.5 or 12.5 square...Kerry..love to have you join us 65+ hoppers...

    ReplyDelete
  16. This is such a great pillow. I can't wait to get my fabric!

    ReplyDelete
  17. What a cute pillow! The contrasting colors are so eye-pleasing and summery! I am waiting for my fabric order from the US that includes some of Lu's fabrics too. They are all so cute!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Oh Kerry, the pillow s wonderful! I like it more than the plate!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time out to leave your thoughts, I do very much appreciate you stopping by! Blogger is not sending comments through by email at the moment so I'll reply in the comments.