My wardrobe is looking a little sad, things that don't fit, I don't like or just tend to hide me when I wear them so I have been making skirts. The Cynthia Rowley skirt is great to wear- it's all about the pockets and the fullness. Next I fancied a Colette pattern.
I have been intrigued by Colette. I love the details and the styling. The new book has been requested for Christmas. The patterns are more expensive than a Simplcity or McCalls- although they aren't cheap in the UK. But you do get a bit more for your buck. The pattern instructions are in booklet form with stitches down the spine- nice touch- and the pattern pieces at the back.
The pages are thick with very clear diagrams and online links for tricky bits- very good invisible zip tutorial here. The pages are a pleasure to touch- unlike the usual oversized folded crappy instruction leaflet. The pattern pieces are still on the tissue stuff that everyone hates but I traced them onto thicker paper so I can reuse them. Ultimately this pattern excels on fit.
It looks like a simple A line but there are a few shaping details that made it hug all round. The back and front seams are not straight, they tilt inwards at all the right places to give a snug, smooth fit.
I used some light stretch denim, cheapo stuff from local fabric shop and a bit of Liberty bias binding for the flat waist binding trim- instructions for adding this are on the Colette site.
I adapted the waist band shaping to a smoother curve than the pattern. I like the way it looks but when I am sitting I realise my trunk is not that long and it cuts into my diaphragm- next time a shorter waistband. I lengthened the skirt considerably too- I am very cautious on length. Looking at that pic, it would look better shorter and perhaps if I'd spent a bit more time ironing it too. You can't see the hem- blind hem on my new machine, worked like a dream. That is the first time I have had a machine where the blind hem was successful!
I won't pretend the sipper was plain sailing. I put it perfectly first time on one side and then the wrong way round on the other side. It needed another go and then there is a tendency to stick around the facing and binding area. A bit of gentle stretching (read pulling and close to tears) some silicon on the zipper and some hand stitching to get the facing out of the way on the inside- now it works. It is a beautiful pattern for a beginner. I made a test waist band before I embarked on the whole thing to check the sizing. I always get in a state about sizing... even after making my test band I can't trust myself or the tape measure, first too big, then too small. This is a fit with no room for cake, even with
I would've liked pockets but this fabric isn't up to it. It is probably a work skirt rather than an everyday sling it on and let the dog and kitties sleep on me, but a very pleasurable project non the less.
And now I return to Christmas sewing...