Thursday 1 December 2011

Ginger

My wardrobe is looking a little sad, things that don't fit, I don't like or just tend to hide me when I wear them so I have been making skirts.  The Cynthia Rowley skirt is great to wear- it's all about the pockets and the fullness.  Next I fancied a Colette pattern. 
I have been intrigued by Colette.  I love the details and the styling.  The new book has been requested for Christmas.  The patterns are more expensive than a Simplcity or McCalls- although they aren't cheap in the UK.  But you do get a bit more for your buck.  The pattern instructions are in booklet form with stitches down the spine- nice touch- and the pattern pieces at the back.
The pages are thick with very clear diagrams and online links for tricky bits- very good invisible zip tutorial here.   The pages are a pleasure to touch- unlike the usual oversized folded crappy instruction leaflet.   The pattern pieces are still on the tissue stuff that everyone hates but I traced them onto thicker paper so I can reuse them.  Ultimately this pattern excels on fit.
It looks like a simple A line but there are a few shaping details that made it hug all round.  The back and front seams are not straight, they tilt inwards at all the right places to give a snug, smooth fit.
I used some light stretch denim, cheapo stuff from local fabric shop and a bit of Liberty bias binding for the flat waist binding trim- instructions for adding this are on the Colette site.
I adapted the waist band shaping to a smoother curve than the pattern.  I like the way it looks but when I am sitting I realise my trunk is not that long and it cuts into my diaphragm- next time a shorter waistband.  I lengthened the skirt considerably too- I am very cautious on length.  Looking at that pic, it would look better shorter and perhaps if I'd spent a bit more time ironing it too.   You can't see the hem- blind hem on my new machine, worked like a dream.  That is the first time I have had a machine where the blind hem was successful!
I won't pretend the sipper was plain sailing.  I put it perfectly first time on one side and then the wrong way round on the other side.  It needed another go and then there is a tendency to stick around the facing and binding area.   A bit of gentle stretching (read pulling and close to tears)  some silicon on the zipper and some hand stitching to get the facing out of the way on the inside- now it works.  It is a beautiful pattern for a beginner.  I made a test waist band before I embarked on the whole thing to check the sizing.  I always get in a state about sizing... even after making my test band I can't trust myself or the tape measure, first too big, then too small.  This is a fit with no room for cake, even with 
the stretch.
I would've liked pockets but this fabric isn't up to it.  It is probably a work skirt rather than an everyday sling it on and let the dog and kitties sleep on me,  but a very pleasurable project non the less.  
And now I return to Christmas sewing...
sib blog

17 comments:

  1. Kerry, that is a beautifully tailored skirt. It looks amazing on you!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wonderful skirt Kerry!! I love all the attention to details you put in it really makes it look so slick and professional.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Just beautiful work! You look very pretty in you skirt. Making clothes is a whole new division in sewing, you are so talented!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Glad you attempted this skirt-fits you so well and the details are so classic. Great job.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow Kerry. That skirt is gorgeous, the waistband looks divine!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. very nice! and i do love that waistband!

    ReplyDelete
  7. very impressed Kerry (as always!), dress making is a bit beyond me at the moment. I recently bought a pattern and the fabric but looking at the instructions scared me a bit and I realised I dont have a blind zipper foot for my machine so it has got put on the back burner! I have to say that your talk of test waistbands hasn't made me anymore enthusiastic! Lovely skirt though.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Beautiful skirt and it's a wonderful fit - love the detail below the waist band, very pretty!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Beautiful and it looks amazing on you (or you look amazing in it - either way)!

    ReplyDelete
  10. It really looks beautiful on you (envying your flat tummy and tiny waist...)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Kerry, lovely skirt and it so becoming on you!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Looks like you made a great job of that skirt Kerry and I find it hard to believe you ever consider cake with a figure like that!!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Thanks for the review of the actual pattern, I had wondered what made them more pricey, but the booklet looks so much better than the huge newsprint style instructions that seem to take up half your workspace!

    The skirt looks great, and like the piping details :o)

    ReplyDelete
  14. That waistband piping trim is gorgeous, very professional looking! Great job, thanks for the inspiration although clothing is way down on my list! I am a straight line sewing gal!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Looks brilliant and I'm glad it's not just me who makes mistakes with zips!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time out to leave your thoughts, I do very much appreciate you stopping by! Blogger is not sending comments through by email at the moment so I'll reply in the comments.