Thursday, 29 September 2011

Tutorial Part 3: Finishing the Mug Rug

A bit of finishing off and your mug rug will be complete.  You have already completed sections for the mug and spoon.

from your back ground fabric cut 1 strip 4.5 x 1.25 inches and another 4.5 x 1.5 inches.  Stitch the first of these on the left edge of the mug and the 1.5 strip to the right edge.  Now cut 1 strip 2 x 6.75 inches and another 1.5 x 6.75 inches  The first strip goes onto the top of the mug and the second strip is added to the bottom underneath the saucer.

We will do the same for the spoon.  Cut  1 strip 1.5 x 1.5 inches- this is for the top of your spoon.  Cut another 1.5 x 1.25 inches, this is for the bottom of your spoon.  The final strip to cut measures 1.75 x 6.75 inches.  Stitch to the left edge of the spoon.  Now, you can stitch the spoon and mug blocks together.  Press the whole thing and trim to 6.5 x 8.5 inches.  The assembly is like a mini quilt.  You will need you backing fabric, I chose a vintage blue and cream print- cut to the same size as the mug rug front.Cut your wadding/batting to the same size, I used Insul bright.  Make your quilt sandwich- backing, batting (reflective layer facing upwards for Insul bright) and top layer- I used a bit of 505 spray to hold everything together.
 
Add your quilting.   I echo stitched around the mug saucer and spoon using a walking foot to keep the layers steady and a long stitch.  Zig zag around the edges of the mug rug.  Add your binding (you will need 1.25 x 40 inches, straight cut - see my single binding tutorial here for this and here for mitred corners.   Here's a back view of the finished rug... 
And with mug...
You can find all the tutorials for this project on the first post and tomorrow call back in,  I will be giving this mug rug away!
sib blog

6 comments:

  1. Just a quick note to let you know that a link to this post will be placed on CraftCrave today [29 Sep 01:00am GMT]. Thanks, Maria

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for the tutorial.
    I love the fabrics you used.
    I will be back tomorrow for sure to try my luck in the draw :)

    Margaret

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's fabulous! I love the colours and the spotty binding is perfect! Thanks for the series of tutorials!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am so making this!
    By the way I don't know how many times I went back to your binding tutorial. And I know I'll go back to it again when I want my binding perfect!

    ReplyDelete
  5. what a great mug rug tutorial. that is such a nice way to introduce paper piecing to someone that's never done it before. love it.

    ReplyDelete

I love reading every single comment, so thank you for taking the time out to leave your thoughts. I always try to reply if I can find your email on your profile! Questions will be answered in the comments so others can read them too.